pngfix.js and rollover in IE

Bribro

I have an horizontal menu with a dreamweaver-generated rollover effect.
Images are png and their transparency is handled by pngfix.js
In IE, applied the pngfix, the rollover doesn't work at all. Obviously,
if I cut the pngfix the rollover works fine but the transparency of
images is gone.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks.

Barbara de Zoete

I have an horizontal menu with a dreamweaver-generated rollover
effect. Images are png and their transparency is handled by
pngfix.js In IE, applied the pngfix, the rollover doesn't work
at all. Obviously, if I cut the pngfix the rollover works fine
but the transparency of images is gone.

Where can we see this page and its effect?
Can anybody help me?

Simple:
- Don't let Dreamweaver do the job if you don't understand what it does.
- Don't let javascript do what is better done without it.

Puzzled? Google for more information (CSS and menu as keywords will probably
lead you in the right direction)

Bribro

Barbara said:
Where can we see this page and its effect?

Nowhere (but in localhost).
It's a simple horizontal menu made with images of different width. The
onmouseover make them switch to a hover image.
Simple:
- Don't let Dreamweaver do the job if you don't understand what it does.

Do you really live completely avoiding anything you don't understand?
Such a strange and hard life...
Seriously: i dont' know much about jscript. Whay I see is a list of
functions that manage the image switching. If i knew it better probably
i would not be here asking.
- Don't let javascript do what is better done without it.

I know tehre are several ways to obtain a rollover effect with css
(image replacement, etc) but i wanted to know if there's a solution to
THIS problem.

Barbara de Zoete

Nowhere (but in localhost).
It's a simple horizontal menu made with images of different width. The
onmouseover make them switch to a hover image.

Do you really live completely avoiding anything you don't understand?
Such a strange and hard life...

It is not about avoiding. It is about learning what is done so you can stop it
to do things you don't want it to. If you don't learn, you'll have to come
running in here every time you don't understand what it does.
So help yourself and learn html and css and some js. Only after you've got the
basics, start using an editor like Dreamweaver to do actual production of stuff
that you want to get published.
Seriously: i dont' know much about jscript.

Aha. so you come to a hmtl group with your js question. Now, that's rather smart.
Whay I see is a
list of functions that manage the image switching. If i knew
it better probably i would not be here asking.

See? Start learning. And start using the proper group for js.
I know tehre are several ways to obtain a rollover effect
with css (image replacement, etc) but i wanted to know if
there's a solution to THIS problem.

Again: it is hard to help and solve if we cannot see the page code. So upload
and provide a URL. Help starts there.

Secondly: the not using dreamweaver and javascript, but use proper markup and
some basic css _might be_ a solution to your problem. You wouldn't know untill
you've actually tried it.

Bribro

Barbara said:
Aha. so you come to a hmtl group with your js question. Now, that's
rather smart.

Going on with the old "RTFM" when it's clear that i dont' know at all
where's the problem (and that you don't know the answer) is very smart too.
Ok, you're wasting your time and i'm wasting mine.
Thank you very much.

Barbara de Zoete

Going on with the old "RTFM" when it's clear that i dont' know
at all where's the problem (and that you don't know the answer)
is very smart too.

I've given you several options:
- upload the page and give us an URL;
- go to a js group with the specific js problem;
- try the menu without js, using proper markup and
css for the rollover effect.

Meanwhile I didn't even complain about your buggy newsclient that keeps screwing
up the quoted text with random line breaks without >>> in proper places.

JDS

Do you really live completely avoiding anything you don't understand?
Such a strange and hard life...

That is not even close to what Barbara said.

Dreamweaver can screw things up for you if you don't know what it is
doing. Its as simple as that. DW can be a good and useful tool, don't
misunderstand me. But it can also screw things up.

JDS

Going on with the old "RTFM" when it's clear that i dont' know at all
where's the problem (and that you don't know the answer) is very smart too.
Ok, you're wasting your time and i'm wasting mine.
Thank you very much.

Post the fucking URL to the example page or piss off.

Barbara de Zoete

Nik Coughin

Bribro said:
I have an horizontal menu with a dreamweaver-generated rollover
effect. Images are png and their transparency is handled by pngfix.js
In IE, applied the pngfix, the rollover doesn't work at all.
Obviously, if I cut the pngfix the rollover works fine but the
transparency of images is gone.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks.

The hack that is used to make png images transparent under IE is an ActiveX
filter. As I understand it ActiveX filters in IE are always drawn on the
top layer and IE does not pass mouse events through to anything under them.
For this reason you cannot have links or other events that rely on the mouse
in an area that has hacked png transparency.