css-only rollover background image swap problem -- help?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Miselaineous, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. Miselaineous

    Miselaineous Guest

    I wanted to do something that looked interesting, for a spoken-word
    artist's site.... I wanted the navigation background image appear to
    change with a rollover, and I wanted to do it with CSS.

    The following works as intended in Firefox, but breaks in IE and Opera
    -- so it's obviously not going to be a valid effect if I can't coax
    the code to accept the other browsers.

    http://ivanecoyote.com/test.php

    When the rollover image in the *span* tag is not a background, it
    works in all the browsers I've been able to test. This site of mine
    works fine with a very similar technique:
    http://sactaiko.org

    Anyone with an idea why it's breaking?

    Thanks for any input...

    -Elaine
    e l a i n e a t d y k e t e c h d o t c o m

    Miselaineous, Apr 17, 2005

  2. This imported stylesheet for http://ivanecoyote.com/test.php has a
    number of 'odd' elements.

    HTML comments <!-- ... --> are not allowed in a stylesheet but should be
    /* ... */, I believe they are allow in HTML documents between the
    <STYLE></STYLE> to hide the code from very old browsers

    You have HTML <STYLE></STYLE> in your external stylesheet also a no-no

    and not sure what this stuff is?

    <!--[if lt IE 6]>
    /* HR styles need for IE 5/Win and under. */
    #middle { position: relative; }
    <![endif]-->

    these special MS conditional comments are for in your HTML document not
    your stylesheet, right?

    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 17, 2005