  1. Oh yes and when you say point to the pointer do you mean if a paramter
    wants say a void ** ? The wording is beginning to confuse. Sorry.

    Bill

    Bill Cunningham, Apr 22, 2014

  2. Bill Cunningham

    buja Guest

    The questions you have show a serious lack of understanding of the basics of C. If you don't understand pointers, don't even bother about function parameters, call by value and other "advanced" topics.

    The best advice I can give you is to buy a book on C, read it, reread it and run the examples. Quite a bit of effort, but the only way you (or anyone else) will ever learn. You cannot expect this group to teach you C question by question.
    If you don't put in the effort yourself, you will not get much further than 'Hello world!'.

    buja, Apr 22, 2014

  3. I think you may not be best placed to make such a claim. It could be
    that they don't explain it well to you, but that is not at all the same
    thing as not doing well (in general) at explaining what a function wants.
    In 2010 you posted code using getaddrinfo() that provided correct
    arguments for the call. Did you understand what you'd written then?

    <snip>

    Ben Bacarisse, Apr 22, 2014
  4. Obviously you don't understand. Since *p cannot be a pointer, how can
    you include in the list of possible arguments that would satisfy a
    request for a pointer. Since this has been pointed out to you
    multiple times, why do you keep repeating the same erroneous
    statements?
    Since none of the parameters for getaddrinfo have type void*, you are
    either mixing apples and oranges or engaging in your usual technique
    of throwing out random C related topics with no regard to their
    relevance.

    Barry Schwarz, Apr 23, 2014
  5. Geesh Barry you know what I mean. I was just speaking of two different
    examples of two different things. Pull the bur out of your ass. The world's
    not coming to an end. It seems you want to do more arguing than anything
    else or about C.

    Bill Cunningham, Apr 24, 2014