poplib Q

SuperHik

Hi!

I want to connect to gmail but...
It requires SSL so I worte:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python24\lib\poplib.py", line 359, in __init__
self.sslobj = socket.ssl(self.sock, self.keyfile, self.certfile)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ssl'
what's with that?!
I found an old post to this group, and it connected the same way, only
it worked.
(I use PythonWin 2.4.3 on WinXP)

tia!

Paul McGuire

SuperHik said:
Hi!

I want to connect to gmail but...
It requires SSL so I worte:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python24\lib\poplib.py", line 359, in __init__
self.sslobj = socket.ssl(self.sock, self.keyfile, self.certfile)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ssl'

what's with that?!
I found an old post to this group, and it connected the same way, only
it worked.
(I use PythonWin 2.4.3 on WinXP)

tia!

See if you have a socket.py file in your PYTHONPATH or local directory.

-- Paul

SuperHik

Paul said:
See if you have a socket.py file in your PYTHONPATH or local directory.

-- Paul

I did ofc, but I noticed something strange...
*my* socket module really doesn't have SSL object,
even tho it's listed in the documentation...
(not the online docs, but docs that came with my Python version)
ffs how can that be!

Neil Hodgson

SuperHik:
I did ofc, but I noticed something strange...
*my* socket module really doesn't have SSL object,
even tho it's listed in the documentation...
(not the online docs, but docs that came with my Python version)
ffs how can that be!

You are probably using ActiveState's distribution which doesn't
include SSL due to encryption regulations. The python.org distribution
does include SSL and you may be able to copy _ssl.pyd into the
ActiveState installation.

Neil

SuperHik

Neil said:
SuperHik:

You are probably using ActiveState's distribution which doesn't
include SSL due to encryption regulations. The python.org distribution
does include SSL and you may be able to copy _ssl.pyd into the
ActiveState installation.

Neil

thank you!
grrr@regulations