populating ddl and setting selectedvalue

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by J, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. J

    J Guest

    When a button is clicked, I want to populate multiple ddl's and under
    certain circumstances I want to set the SelectedValue. I've tried different
    variations of this:

    protected void btnImport_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    [snip]
    int tblcols = dsCsv.Tables["csv"].Columns.Count;

    for(int i=0; i<tblcols; i++)
    {
    ListItem liItem = new ListItem();
    liItem.Text = dsCsv.Tables["csv"].Columns.ToString();
    liItem.Value = dsCsv.Tables["csv"].Columns.ToString();
    ddlAddress.Items.Add(liItem);
    ddlOrganization.Items.Add(liItem);

    if (liItem.Text.ToLower().IndexOf("company") >=0)
    {
    ddlOrganization.Items.FindByText(liItem.Text).Selected = true;

    This doesn't work. Although items were added, the code won't recognize
    these items until the entire btnImport_Click is finished. How can I
    accomplish this?

    Thanks.

    J, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Sharing ListItems is a bad idea. The problem is that Selected is a property
    of an ListItem rather than the ddl the item belongs to. It means that as
    soon as you select an item in one list, it will become selected also in
    another list.

    Create separate instances if ListItems for every list.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer

    Eliyahu Goldin, Mar 24, 2008

  3. J

    J Guest

    Ah, this bit of info solves my issues. Thanks.

    J, Mar 25, 2008