"Portable" Ruby

Michael T. Richter

--=-NMS2TdHKfxlnpjW3K5LW

--=-FBVC7FNsLB1vzn9OuEfK

I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
"Portable App" (along the lines of http://www.portableapps.com). The
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.

What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.

--=20
Michael T. Richter <[email protected]> (GoogleTalk:
(e-mail address removed))
In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will
know the man. (=E5=AD=94=E5=A4=AB=E5=AD=90)

--=-FBVC7FNsLB1vzn9OuEfK

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; CHARSET=3DUTF-8">
<META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"GtkHTML/3.12.1">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a &q=
uot;Portable App&quot; (along the lines of <A HREF=3D"http://www.portableap=
ps.com">http://www.portableapps.com</A>).&nbsp; The idea is to have a fully=
-functional Ruby environment that executes entirely from removable media le=
aving no footprint whatsoever on the machine it's run on -- no registry ent=
ries, no configuration files, etc.<BR>
<BR>
What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run from m=
y USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter being far mor=
e likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.<BR>
<BR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING=3D"0" CELLPADDING=3D"0" WIDTH=3D"100%">
<TR>
<TD>
-- <BR>
<B>Michael T. Richter</B> &lt;<A HREF=3D"mailto:[email protected]">ttmri=
(e-mail address removed)</A>&gt; (<B>GoogleTalk:</B> (e-mail address removed))<BR>
<I>In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will kno=
w the man. (孔夫子)</I>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--=-FBVC7FNsLB1vzn9OuEfK--

--=-NMS2TdHKfxlnpjW3K5LW

--=-NMS2TdHKfxlnpjW3K5LW--

mully

--
Michael T. Richter <[email protected]> (GoogleTalk:
(e-mail address removed))
In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will
know the man. (孔夫å­)

signature.asc
1KDownload

RubyScript2Exe might meet your needs:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

David

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com

barjunk

I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
"Portable App" (along the lines ofhttp://www.portableapps.com). The
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.

What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.

--
Michael T. Richter <[email protected]> (GoogleTalk:
(e-mail address removed))
In his errors a man is true to type. Observe the errors and you will
know the man. (孔夫å­)

signature.asc
1KDownload

Couldn't you do something similar to InstantRails? I think it is
windows only...but maybe it will give you ideas.

Mike B.

Richard Conroy

Couldn't you do something similar to InstantRails? I think it is
windows only...but maybe it will give you ideas.

Well PortableApps is windows only anyway unfortunately.

Some guy described how to here. He used InstantRails or a variant of it.

http://ruby.about.com/od/resources/ss/portable_ruby.htm
http://ruby.about.com/od/resources/qt/portable_rails.htm

Been meaning to do this kind of thing myself. It could be very handy
for teaching Ruby/Rails. Y'know bring your educational install around with
you and such.

Marcin Raczkowski

I'm wondering if it's feasible at all to package a Ruby environment as a
"Portable App" (along the lines of http://www.portableapps.com). The
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
entirely from removable media leaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.

What I really want this for is a portable JunebugWiki that I can run
from my USB stick without worrying about whether or not (the latter
being far more likely!) Ruby is installed on the machines I'd use it on.
Google for:

ruby2exe
instantRails

also you can just copy full ruby interpreter to your usb stick, but if you
want wiki instantrails is much faster/easier