Portable Web Services

Donkey Hottie

Hello!

I have written Web Services using Axis 1.4, and they do work as wanted,
portable accross different Application Servers.

The code base has been written in the time of Java 1.4.2.

However, Java 6 has built in libraries and means for Web Services. Is it
possible to write portable code accross Application Server boundaries with
it? I have understood that Java 6 has a light wight http-server for these
web services, but I do not want that.

I need a web service implementation that goes along with my portable EAR on
any Java 6 capable Application Server. The services also require support
for WS-Security, and they should be generated "contract first", from my
WSDL and XML-schemas.

Is it time to rewrite my old Axis 1.4 code? Axis 1.4 is not broken, so it
is not necessary to rewrite anything, but my boss prefers living without
3rd party Open Source..

We moved to Java 5 because of the portability of Ejb 3. Then we went to
Java 6 because of built in XML Signature support of Java 6. Finally I got a
decent Java version to work with, so maybe time to say bibi to Axis.

Arne Vajhøj

Donkey said:
[...]

I would stick with Axis for now and slowly migrate to Axis2.

I do not have confidence in the standard SE WS being "enterprise grade".

You should be able to get some performance improvements by migrating
to Axis2.

Arne