Porting to new Python version

Gabor Urban

Hi,

I have a tough issue: we are using a Python application written quite
a time ago for version 2.4. The code is mature, and there are no bugs.
My bosses came up with the idea to port it to the latest release... I
am not really convinced that it's a good step.

I wellcome any information pro and contra. I would like to get the
background as precisely as possible.

Thanks in advance and good day to You!

Gabor

Kottiyath

Hi,

I have a tough issue: we are using a Python application written quite
a time ago for version 2.4. The code is mature, and there are no bugs.
 My bosses came up with the idea to port it to the latest release... I
am not really convinced that it's a good step.

I wellcome any information pro and contra. I would like to get the
background as precisely as possible.

Thanks in advance and good day to You!

Gabor

It might be helpful if you can provide more information regarding your
application.
For example, does it use lot of 3rd party code, What is the reason
behind porting to latest version etc.
All said, 2.4 to 2.5 or even 2.6 should not be much of an issue - it
even has the advantage that performance is improved and some memory
leaks are no longer there.
Python 3* should be a problem since many 3rd party applications are
not yet ported to it.

Michele Simionato

Hi,

I have a tough issue: we are using a Python application written quite
a time ago for version 2.4. The code is mature, and there are no bugs.
 My bosses came up with the idea to port it to the latest release... I
am not really convinced that it's a good step.

I wellcome any information pro and contra. I would like to get the
background as precisely as possible.

Thanks in advance and good day to You!

Gabor

I am a fan of smooth upgrades. Just move to Python 2.5 and you should
have little troubles.
You can wait one year or so for Python 2.6. As a rule of thumb, I
think it is safe to upgrade to a newer Python versions after one year
from its first release, to give time to third party packages. There
are of course exceptions. For instance I remember Zope being far
behind Python releases. I have currently a Zope application running in
Python 2.4 that I cannot upgrade. It all depends from your external
dependencies. If you do not have any, and you do not anticipate the
need for any, you can probably upgrade to Python 2.6 with no effort.

Michele Simionato