posting to comp.lang.c

ptkrisada

Hi all,

I'm new to google groups.
I received mails in digest mode.
How do I post to comp.lang.c using mail client.
I tried sending e-mails to (e-mail address removed) many times.
All failed.

Thanks,
Pete

Colonel Harlan Sanders

I'm new to google groups.
I received mails in digest mode.
How do I post to comp.lang.c using mail client.
I tried sending e-mails to (e-mail address removed) many times.
All failed.

This is a Usenet newsgroup.
Google searches it and provides a primitive interface, but not via
email as far as I know.
You would be better advised to use an NNTP newsreader to read and
post.

Eg, for Windows, "Agent", http://www.forteinc.com/
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders for
others.

You then need to find an NNTP server that can give you access to this
group.
There are several free ones, eg
http://news.aioe.org/ (use nntp.aioe.org)

See also http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

ptkrisada

This is a Usenet newsgroup.
Google searches it and provides a primitive interface, but not via
email as far as I know.
Thank you very much for your response.
But http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46242
says ...
To submit a new post via email: send an email to your group's email
address. The subject line of the email will be the title of the post,
and the body of the email will be the content of the post.

And http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46241
says ...
Each group has its own email address which is available at the bottom
of the group's homepage.

Thanks,
Pete

Colonel Harlan Sanders

Thank you very much for your response.
But http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46242
says ...
To submit a new post via email: send an email to your group's email
address. The subject line of the email will be the title of the post,
and the body of the email will be the content of the post.

And http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46241
says ...
Each group has its own email address which is available at the bottom
of the group's homepage.

Those are for Google Groups.
Despite Google making Usenet groups look like a subset of Google
Groups, they are in fact not part of Google at all.

Since you evidently have web access, why not read the references I
gave which explain all this.

Colonel Harlan Sanders

PS: since you appear to be using the Opera browser, that has a simple
Usenet reader built in to it, under the "Mail" menu.

Pete

Those are for Google Groups.
Despite Google making Usenet groups look like a subset of Google
Groups, they are in fact not part of Google at all.
Thanks, that's all I need to know. :)
Since you evidently have web access, why not read the references
I gave which explain all this.
I'm using FreeBSD not MS Windows. I can install slrn from FreeBSD
ports. :)
PS:  since you appear to be using the Opera browser, that has a
simple Usenet reader built in to it, under the "Mail" menu.
Normally, I work with Unix console without GUI.
I occasionally use opera only when I need GUI.
Anyway, I would probably use opera as your suggestion. :)

Thanks,
Pete

Colonel Harlan Sanders

I'm using FreeBSD not MS Windows. I can install slrn from FreeBSD
ports. :)

That would have been useful to know earlier.

I can recommend tin as a Unix text mode news client.

Andrew Poelstra

Normally, I work with Unix console without GUI.
I occasionally use opera only when I need GUI.
Anyway, I would probably use opera as your suggestion. :)

If you've got a Unix console, use slrn. It's far nicer than
any GUI appliance you might find.