PPC & Camera support

JimmyHoffa

Hi all,

I've got a .NET app for the pocket pc (2003) which I want to add camera
functionality to it.. which happens to be a total pain on .NET / PPC
2003..

SO I was thinking maybe a java version will be easier to add camera
support to..

Has anyone any experience of writing apps for the PPC that utilise
cameras ?

I'm just trying to get a feel if its possible or not..

Thx..

Oliver Wong

JimmyHoffa said:
Hi all,

I've got a .NET app for the pocket pc (2003) which I want to add camera
functionality to it.. which happens to be a total pain on .NET / PPC
2003..

SO I was thinking maybe a java version will be easier to add camera
support to..

Has anyone any experience of writing apps for the PPC that utilise
cameras ?

I'm just trying to get a feel if its possible or not..

My guess is that the .NET version is probably going to be a lot easier
to develop than the Java version, particularly if this camera is built into
your PPC device (as opposed to being a 3rd party add on).

AFAIK, there is no generic JavaME or JavaSE camera API, so you would
have to get an API from the manufacturer of the camera device. If that
manufacturer is Microsoft, you're probably out of luck. If the manufacturer
is SonyEricsson, you might want to try
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/techsupport/tipstrickscode/symbian/p_tipscode104.jsp
For any other manufacturer, you'll have to find the API library yourself.

- Oliver

JimmyHoffa

thanks for replying..

As i suspected... I was getting excited when I saw netbeans now
opening up the CDC world with their updates to the mobility kit. What
I want is a camera control in my pallete....

Well back to MS for now then... theres some more things to try yet...
I wonder how long it will be before WM 5 is the standard OS on
PPC's.....

i hate being reliant on MS, they do some things very well but there are
always things which really Pee me off... took me months to discover a
problem why CABs would not build in vs2005... eventually turned out to
be a path depth problem.... silly things like that..