Preferences and Windows Registry

Jeff

We have an application that stores one String and one int in the Windows
Registry. However, one particular machine, it throws an error:

WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at
root 0
x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

The code:
Preferences preferences =
Preferences.userNodeForPackage(GuiPreferences.class);
preferences.put(String , String);

We think the registry is secured in some way that prevents preferences from
writing to it. Is there an alternative preferences configuration that would
fix this?