problem while inheriting a UserControl base

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by SpaceMarine, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    hello,

    i am working on a web application w/ UserControls. some of my controls
    use the same functionality (an Event they all raise) so it seemed to
    make sense to place them into a custom base class, and have my
    UserControls inherit it.

    problem is, when i do this the im no longer able to raise the event in
    the deriving UserControls. it fails to compile, saying:

    The event 'MyBases.SubNavControl.NavItemClicked' can only appear on
    the left hand side of += or -= (except when used from within the type
    'MyBases.SubNavControl')

    SubNavControl.cs (base class):

    namespace CNO.NOPD.EPR.Bases
    {
    public class SubNavControl : UserControl
    {
    //delegate for nav-button clicks
    public delegate void NavItemClick(object sender, System.EventArgs
    e);

    //event for the same
    public event NavItemClick NavItemClicked;

    SubNav.ascx.cs (deriving class):

    public partial class SubNav : Bases.SubNavControl
    {
    protected void imgSection1_Click(object sender, ImageClickEventArgs
    e)
    {
    //used by consuming page
    this.RedirectUrl = "~/facesheet/Event.aspx";

    //raise the event defined in base -- FAILS. works if delegate/event
    is local only, not if in the base
    base.NavItemClicked(this, e);

    ....whats up? doing something wrong?

    thanks!
    sm

    SpaceMarine, Oct 3, 2008

  2. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    btw there is a naming error in the above, but only because i was
    "cleaning" the namespaces for the code snippit and missed one. its not
    that.

    sm

    SpaceMarine, Oct 3, 2008