UserControl "PreRender" Event

Alex Maghen

I am building a C# Web UserControl. By default, when you create one in VS, it
comes with the

event handler set up. How do I add an Event Handler function for other
events (such as PreRender)? Now that I think of it, where is the "wiring"
that creates the "Page_Load" EventHandler in the first place?

Thanks.

Alex

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello Alex,

You can define every event of page directly in code behind.

protected void Page_PreInit(object sender, EventArgs e)

protected void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)

In VB.Net, there is a list to show every event of page on the right side of
VS.
In C#, there isn't a shootcut like this to do. But there is a workround to
build this kind of event:
For example, you can type "Page." in Page_Load event, it will autocomplete
to show every attributes and event of page instance. Then you can select
one of the events it lists. Assuming that you select PreRender event, it
will show Page.PreRender. After that, you can input "+=". It will prompt
you press "Tab" key to insert the event handler. Then you can press "Tab"
key, it will generate "Page.PreRender+=new EventHandler(Page_PreRender);"
automatically, and when you press "Tab" once more, it will generate the
event handler as below if this event handler is not defined.
void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
throw new NotImplementedException();
}

Append "protected" before "void".

protected void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
//throw new NotImplementedException();
}

At last, don't forget to remove "Page.PreRender+=new
EventHandler(Page_PreRender);" what we built in Page_Load. We don't need it
any more.

That is a workround to build an Event Handler in C#.

Sincerely,

Vince Xu

Microsoft Online Support