problem with autocomplete combobox

Gowri

Hi all,

I've no idea if this is the right way to implement an auto complete
combobox but this one seems to work fine except for the fact that
every first time the model's contents completely change, the text
field and the popup are of different sizes.

How do I fix this?
Please find my code below:

import java.awt.Dimension;
import java.awt.GridBagConstraints;
import java.awt.GridBagLayout;
import java.awt.Insets;
import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;
import java.awt.event.ActionListener;
import java.awt.event.FocusAdapter;
import java.awt.event.FocusEvent;
import java.awt.event.KeyAdapter;
import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;
import java.io.File;
import java.util.Iterator;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.Vector;

import javax.swing.ComboBoxModel;
import javax.swing.DefaultComboBoxModel;
import javax.swing.JButton;
import javax.swing.JComboBox;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JPanel;
import javax.swing.WindowConstants;
import javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup;
import javax.swing.text.JTextComponent;

import org.jdom.Element;
import org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder;

public class MeshNameDialog{
private static MeshNameDialog mnd = null;
private JComboBox comboBox = new JComboBox();
private static ComboBoxModel model;
private static JTextComponent editor;
private static boolean hidePopupOnFocusLoss;

private JButton ok = new JButton("OK");
private JButton cancel = new JButton("Cancel");
private GridBagLayout layoutMgr = new GridBagLayout();
private GridBagConstraints gbc = new GridBagConstraints();
private static JFrame frame = new JFrame();
private JPanel buttonPanel = new JPanel();

static Object[] names = {"looooooooooooooong string","short string",
"crappy stringggg"};

private MeshNameDialog() {
frame.setSize(350, 120);

// create and show a window containing the combo box
frame.setLayout(layoutMgr);

gbc.gridx = 0;
gbc.gridy = 0;
gbc.insets = new Insets(10, 10, 5, 10);
frame.getContentPane().add(comboBox, gbc);

ok.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
MeshAppConfig.setMeshName((String) comboBox.getEditor()
.getItem());
frame.setVisible(false);
}
});
buttonPanel.add(ok);

cancel.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
frame.dispose();
System.exit(0);
}
});
buttonPanel.add(cancel);

gbc.gridx = 0;
gbc.gridy = 1;
gbc.insets = new Insets(3, 0, 3, 0);
frame.getContentPane().add(buttonPanel, gbc);

Dimension screen =
java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getScreenSize();
int x = (screen.width - frame.getWidth()) / 3;
int y = 2 * (screen.height - frame.getHeight()) / 5;
frame.setLocation(x, y);
frame.setTitle("Mesh Name Dialog");
}

public static MeshNameDialog getInstance() {
if ((null == mnd))
mnd = new MeshNameDialog();
mnd.init();
return mnd;
}

private void init() {
if (null == names) {
String[] tarr = { " " };
comboBox.setModel(new DefaultComboBoxModel(tarr));
} else {
comboBox.setModel(new DefaultComboBoxModel(names));
}
model = comboBox.getModel();
editor = (JTextComponent) comboBox.getEditor().getEditorComponent();
comboBox.setEditable(true);
comboBox.getEditor().setItem("");

editor.addKeyListener(new KeyAdapter() {
public void keyReleased(KeyEvent e) {
String textFieldContents = (String) comboBox.getEditor()
.getItem();
if (!Character.isIdentifierIgnorable(e.getKeyChar())
|| e.getKeyCode() == KeyEvent.VK_BACK_SPACE
|| e.getKeyCode() == KeyEvent.VK_DELETE) {
if (e.getKeyCode() == KeyEvent.VK_ENTER) {
String item = (String) comboBox.getSelectedItem();
comboBox.getEditor().setItem(item);
comboBox.setPopupVisible(false);
return;
}

if (e.getKeyCode() == KeyEvent.VK_UP
|| e.getKeyCode() == KeyEvent.VK_DOWN) {
String item = (String) comboBox.getSelectedItem();
comboBox.repaint();
comboBox.getEditor().setItem(item);
comboBox.setPopupVisible(true);
return;
}

Object[] matchedStrings = getItems(textFieldContents);
if (matchedStrings != null) {
comboBox.setModel(new DefaultComboBoxModel(
matchedStrings));
comboBox.setPopupVisible(true);

} else {
comboBox.setModel(new DefaultComboBoxModel(names));
comboBox.setPopupVisible(false);
comboBox.getEditor().setItem(textFieldContents);
}
});
// Bug 5100422 on Java 1.5: Editable JComboBox won't hide popup when
tabbing out
hidePopupOnFocusLoss =
System.getProperty("java.version").startsWith(
"1.5");
editor.addFocusListener(new FocusAdapter() {
public void focusGained(FocusEvent e) {

}

public void focusLost(FocusEvent e) {
// Workaround for Bug 5100422 - Hide Popup on focus loss
if (hidePopupOnFocusLoss)
comboBox.setPopupVisible(false);
}
});

frame.setVisible(true);
}

private static Object[] getItems(String text) {
Vector v = new Vector();
for (int i = 0; i < names.length; i++) {
if (((String) names).toLowerCase()
.startsWith(text.toLowerCase()))
v.add(names);
}
if (v.size() > 0)
return v.toArray();
return null;

javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
MeshNameDialog.getInstance();
}
});

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards,
Gowri