problem with Javascript code from Include

Tony Strazzeri

Hi all,

I a fairly new to html and Javascripting. I have been trying to write
some code to hide my email address from spam harvesters. I copied the
code from various web examples and modified it to suit me.

The code to generate the address is in a js include file. I am using
frontpage 2003 to create my web pages. My problem is that the code
works OK when I test it using Frontpage's 'Preview' but does not work
when I display the page in an actual browser (IE or Firefox).
The same code works OK if I have it inline but not when I place the
code in an include file.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

The include file is is called 'email_addy.js' and is stored in a folder
called 'scripts/' off the page root.

The javascript code for the include is below. The html for the page
follows it.

Cheers
Tony.

'========start [email_addy.js] ==========
function address_from_addy(myUserName, mySubject )
{
var myAddress ="";
var myDomainNamePrefix = "winbusiness";
var myDomainNameType="com";
var myDomainNameLocation="au_address_from_addy";
var strDisplayTip=""
var atString = "^@^@^";
atString = atString.slice(1,2);
myAddress =myUserName + atString ;
myAddress =myAddress + myDomainNamePrefix + "." + myDomainNameType +
"." + myDomainNameLocation ;
strDisplayTip=myAddress
if ( mySubject ){myAddress = myAddress + '?subject=' + mySubject };
else {myAddress = myAddress};
document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + myAddress + '\">' + strDisplayTip
+ '</a>');
window.status=strDisplayTip ;
}
'======== end [email_addy.js] =============

'======== start page html ===============
<head>
<script src="\scripts/email_addy.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script>
function generate_address(myUserName, mySubject )
{
var myAddress ="";
var myDomainNamePrefix = "myDomainName";
var myDomainNameType="com";
var myDomainNameLocation="au_address_from_inline";
var strDisplayTip=""
var atString = "^@^@^";
atString = atString.slice(1,2);
myAddress =myUserName + atString ;
myAddress =myAddress + myDomainNamePrefix + "." + myDomainNameType
+ "." + myDomainNameLocation ;
strDisplayTip=myAddress
if ( mySubject ){myAddress = myAddress + '?subject=' + mySubject };
else {myAddress = myAddress};
document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + myAddress + '\">' +
strDisplayTip + '</a>');
window.status=strDisplayTip ;
}
</script>
</head>
Address using include: mailAddyMarker[myEmail]
<!--
// The parameters for this are: Username,myDomainNamePrefix,
// Note: the order of these two is reversed from usual practice
// myDomainNameLocation,myDomainNameType
address_from_addy( "myEmail")
//-->
</script>
<!-- End: email address block -->
<hr>
Address using inline call: mailAddyMarker[myEmail]
<!--
// The parameters for this are: Username,myDomainNamePrefix,
// Note: the order of these two is reversed from usual practice
// myDomainNameLocation,myDomainNameType
generate_address( "myEmail")
//-->
</script>
<!-- End: email address block -->
<hr>
'======== End page html ===============

Tony Strazzeri

Hi,

Thank you both for your response.

I have tried various combinations of the path and done the edits in
notepad then used ftp to transfer the edited file.

putting a dot before the first slash seemed to do the trick
<script src="./scripts/gen_email.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Funny though... I am sure I had already tried that.
I also made the change using Frontpage and used it to upload the pages
and that still worked.

BTW.
I know it was a small amount of code and it could have been placed
directly into each page, but I was using the code in several pages
(some of which were in nested folders). So I wanted to keep it in one
location.

I still wanted toi see how to deal with this in case I needed to use
the technique in the future.

Thanks both.

Tony.

PS now I have another question, but I'll post it separately it's to do
with putting a marker on the page visible at design time and have it
replaced by the address at runtime.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

[stripped X-Post to microsoft.public.frontpage
since no such group exists on this server]

Tony said:
I have tried various combinations of the path and done the
edits in notepad then used ftp to transfer the edited file.

putting a dot before the first slash seemed to do the trick

Yes, it *seems to be* that way. However, it *is* not so.
<script src="./scripts/gen_email.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you would care to compare with the original version:

| <script src="\scripts/email_addy.js"
^ ^^^^^^^^^^
| type="text/javascript"> said:
Funny though...

Not at all.
I am sure I had already tried that.

You have not only put a dot before the first slash but you have also turned
a wrong backslash into the correct forward slash. The dot-slash, however,
is completely unnecessary (and should not change anything, else your server
is definitely borken) as it only specifies the source document path.
PS now I have another question, but I'll post it separately it's to do
with putting a marker on the page visible at design time and have it
replaced by the address at runtime.

Are you also going to tell us what you are going to do next week?

PointedEars

Randy Webb

Thomas said:
[stripped X-Post to microsoft.public.frontpage
since no such group exists on this server]

Then why did you set follow-up to a group that does not exist "on this
server" ?