Problem with WinForms User Control Hosted in IE

Guest

I need a little help here please.

I have 2 win forms user controls in 2 different projects that I'm hosting in
2 different virtual directories. The controls have been test and operate okay
in both projects.

Both controls(dlls) have been signed using SN.exe and I've set up the
appropriate .Net assembly permissions using those Strong Names
The DLL's have been copied to the /bin directory in both web virtual
directories.

Here is the object tag for each of the web pages that are hosting the win
form control
<OBJECT class="object" id="mNewCC" style="WIDTH: 392px; HEIGHT: 356px"
height="356" width="392"
classid="bin/NewCC.dll#ICCDB.NewCCCtrl" VIEWASTEXT>
</OBJECT>

<OBJECT class="object" id="upload1"
classid="bin/Upload.dll#Mattel.DD.RH.CopyToZeusCtrl"
VIEWASTEXT height="300" width="300">
<param NAME="RHServicesURL" value="http://RightHemisphere/blah/blah">
<PARAM NAME="MaxSessionUpload" VALUE="-1">
</OBJECT>

My problem is that the first one doesn't work, while the 2nd one works fine.
I've checked both file system and virtual directory permissions and they are
identical for each.

If I copy the DLL to the virtual directory root and alter my classid values
to be like "classid=DLLNAME.dll#CONTROLNAME.ClassName" then they both work as
well, so I Know the IE hosting is working fine.

When I go into the .Net 1.1 configuration under admin tools and and set up
the assembly permissions, I can choose the Dll with both no problem and
assing it.

However, when I try to "Evaluate Assembly" from Runtime Security Policy
link, it doesn't work for the NewCC.dll when I check for it against the
http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/NewCC.dll

If I try the same thing against the
http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/bin/Upload.dll

it works fine.

An excerpt of my weblog shows the following.
21:17:03 127.0.0.1 GET /WFIEI/bin/NewCC.dll 403

Which indicates permissions problems.

Can somebody maybe point me to some tools I can use to troubleshoot the
issue?

thanks in advance

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Segfahlt,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
As for the IE hosted winform control not work in some asp.net application
problem, based on my experience it is likely due to the IIS virtual
folder's permission setting....

For IE hosted winform control, their assembly will be downloaded by the
clientside IE browser (just like download other page or image
resources....), so the virtual folder where we put them should have at
least read permission (the permission in IIS directory setting rather than
NTFS setting....). So please check the private "bin" folder(which not
work) 's directory setting in IIS manager(inetmgr) to see whether it has
been checked on "Read" permission.... And to check this ,we can also put
a simple html file in bin folder and try visiting it through client IE
browser... If the html file can be correctly displayed, assembly(.dll
file) should also be able to be downloaded by client side....

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2VnZmFobHQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Problem with WinForms User Control Hosted in IE
| Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:22:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I need a little help here please.
|
| I have 2 win forms user controls in 2 different projects that I'm hosting
in
| 2 different virtual directories. The controls have been test and operate
okay
| in both projects.
|
| Both controls(dlls) have been signed using SN.exe and I've set up the
| appropriate .Net assembly permissions using those Strong Names
| The DLL's have been copied to the /bin directory in both web virtual
| directories.
|
| Here is the object tag for each of the web pages that are hosting the win
| form control
| <OBJECT class="object" id="mNewCC" style="WIDTH: 392px; HEIGHT: 356px"
| height="356" width="392"
| classid="bin/NewCC.dll#ICCDB.NewCCCtrl" VIEWASTEXT>
| </OBJECT>
|

| <OBJECT class="object" id="upload1"
| classid="bin/Upload.dll#Mattel.DD.RH.CopyToZeusCtrl"
| VIEWASTEXT height="300" width="300">
| <param NAME="RHServicesURL" value="http://RightHemisphere/blah/blah">
| <PARAM NAME="MaxSessionUpload" VALUE="-1">
| </OBJECT>
|

| My problem is that the first one doesn't work, while the 2nd one works
fine.
| I've checked both file system and virtual directory permissions and they
are
| identical for each.
|
| If I copy the DLL to the virtual directory root and alter my classid
values
| to be like "classid=DLLNAME.dll#CONTROLNAME.ClassName" then they both
work as
| well, so I Know the IE hosting is working fine.
|
| When I go into the .Net 1.1 configuration under admin tools and and set
up
| the assembly permissions, I can choose the Dll with both no problem and
| assing it.
|
| However, when I try to "Evaluate Assembly" from Runtime Security Policy
| link, it doesn't work for the NewCC.dll when I check for it against the
| http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/NewCC.dll
|
| If I try the same thing against the
| http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/bin/Upload.dll
|
| it works fine.
|
| An excerpt of my weblog shows the following.
| 21:17:03 127.0.0.1 GET /WFIEI/bin/NewCC.dll 403
|
| Which indicates permissions problems.
|
| Can somebody maybe point me to some tools I can use to troubleshoot the
| issue?
|
| thanks in advance

Guest

Hi Steven,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes. That is kind of what's going on. If I enter debugging mode in my VS
..Net project, it doesn't see the DLL in the bin directory. If I then manually
go in and set the bin dir to read, then my web page can access the DLL.
However, as soon as I stop debugging and start again, the bin directory has
been reset to not-readable.

What was happing a couple days ago, and I think it had something to do with
the server extensions, is that it wouldn't reset the bin directory to
not-readable each time, so, as a result, the bin directory is readable when I
step into debug mode, and I'm able to debug my winform control. I thought
that was pretty convenient.

I'm still investigating. Is there a good reference on the server extensions
and that the following files control, do you know:
_vti_cnf
_vti_pvt
_vti_script
_vti_txt

and inside the _vti_pvt folder I see the following files which I'd like to
get more info on.
access
deptodoc.btr
doctodep.btr
service
service.lck
services

If you don't know right off the top of your head, don't worry about it, I'm
in the process of googling it now.

thanks,

Seg

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Seg,

Yes, the bin dir is a particular directory which is used by asp.net
application to store application assemblies, so by default it should not be
public to internet(so no read permission is granted), I'm not sure whether
the IDE or extension will automatically reset it to non-read... However, we
recommend that you put IE hosted control's assemblies in another sub
virtual directory in the application directory since they're not part of
the asp.net application's assemblies (just used by the IE hosted controls
which is running at clientside....)

> [...]

| > folder's permission setting....
| >
| > For IE hosted winform control, their assembly will be downloaded by the
| > clientside IE browser (just like download other page or image
| > resources....), so the virtual folder where we put them should have at
| > least read permission (the permission in IIS directory setting rather
than
| > NTFS setting....). So please check the private "bin" folder(which not
| > work) 's directory setting in IIS manager(inetmgr) to see whether it
has
| > been checked on "Read" permission.... And to check this ,we can also
put
| > a simple html file in bin folder and try visiting it through client IE
| > browser... If the html file can be correctly displayed, assembly(.dll
| > file) should also be able to be downloaded by client side....

| > |
| > | I need a little help here please.
| > |
| > | I have 2 win forms user controls in 2 different projects that I'm
hosting
| > in
| > | 2 different virtual directories. The controls have been test and
operate
| > okay
| > | in both projects.
| > |
| > | Both controls(dlls) have been signed using SN.exe and I've set up the
| > | appropriate .Net assembly permissions using those Strong Names
| > | The DLL's have been copied to the /bin directory in both web virtual
| > | directories.
| > |
| > | Here is the object tag for each of the web pages that are hosting the
win
| > | form control
| > | <OBJECT class="object" id="mNewCC" style="WIDTH: 392px; HEIGHT:
356px"
| > | height="356" width="392"
| > | classid="bin/NewCC.dll#ICCDB.NewCCCtrl" VIEWASTEXT>
| > | </OBJECT>
| > |
| > |
| > | <OBJECT class="object" id="upload1"
| > | classid="bin/Upload.dll#Mattel.DD.RH.CopyToZeusCtrl"
| > | VIEWASTEXT height="300" width="300">
| > | <param NAME="RHServicesURL"
value="http://RightHemisphere/blah/blah">
| > | <PARAM NAME="MaxSessionUpload" VALUE="-1">
| > | </OBJECT>
| > |
| > |
| > | My problem is that the first one doesn't work, while the 2nd one
works
| > fine.
| > | I've checked both file system and virtual directory permissions and
they
| > are
| > | identical for each.
| > |
| > | If I copy the DLL to the virtual directory root and alter my classid
| > values
| > | to be like "classid=DLLNAME.dll#CONTROLNAME.ClassName" then they both
| > work as
| > | well, so I Know the IE hosting is working fine.
| > |
| > | When I go into the .Net 1.1 configuration under admin tools and and
set
| > up
| > | the assembly permissions, I can choose the Dll with both no problem
and
| > | assing it.
| > |
| > | However, when I try to "Evaluate Assembly" from Runtime Security
Policy
| > | link, it doesn't work for the NewCC.dll when I check for it against
the
| > | http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/NewCC.dll
| > |
| > | If I try the same thing against the
| > | http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/bin/Upload.dll
| > |
| > | it works fine.
| > |
| > | An excerpt of my weblog shows the following.
| > | 21:17:03 127.0.0.1 GET /WFIEI/bin/NewCC.dll 403
| > |
| > | Which indicates permissions problems.
| > |
| > | Can somebody maybe point me to some tools I can use to troubleshoot
the
| > | issue?
| > |
| > | thanks in advance
| > |

Guest

Hi Steven,

Right. And I understand why you would want to do that for a production
environment, however, if I could somehow figure out some way to re-create the
ability of my project to access the bin directory upon start up, it would
allow me to step into the code for debugging. That turned out to be pretty
darn handy, for the couple days that it was working that way. I'd really like
to get back to that point.

Would this be the forum to discuss that? I think I'm pretty close to being
able to re-create it with the original downloaded project, but I haven't been
able to re-create it from scratch.

Any ideas?

Seg

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| > browser... If the html file can be correctly displayed, assembly(.dll
| > file) should also be able to be downloaded by client side....
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2VnZmFobHQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Problem with WinForms User Control Hosted in IE
| > | Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:22:01 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | I need a little help here please.
| > |
| > | I have 2 win forms user controls in 2 different projects that I'm
hosting
| > in
| > | 2 different virtual directories. The controls have been test and
| > |
| > | Both controls(dlls) have been signed using SN.exe and I've set up the
| > | appropriate .Net assembly permissions using those Strong Names
| > | The DLL's have been copied to the /bin directory in both web virtual
| > | directories.
| > |
| > | Here is the object tag for each of the web pages that are hosting the
win
| > | form control
| > | <OBJECT class="object" id="mNewCC" style="WIDTH: 392px; HEIGHT:
356px"
| > | height="356" width="392"
| > | classid="bin/NewCC.dll#ICCDB.NewCCCtrl" VIEWASTEXT>
| > | </OBJECT>
| > |
| > |
| > | <OBJECT class="object" id="upload1"
| > | classid="bin/Upload.dll#Mattel.DD.RH.CopyToZeusCtrl"
| > | VIEWASTEXT height="300" width="300">
| > | <param NAME="RHServicesURL"
value="http://RightHemisphere/blah/blah">
| > | <PARAM NAME="MaxSessionUpload" VALUE="-1">
| > | </OBJECT>
| > |
| > |
| > | My problem is that the first one doesn't work, while the 2nd one
works
| > fine.
| > | I've checked both file system and virtual directory permissions and
they
| > are
| > | identical for each.
| > |
| > | If I copy the DLL to the virtual directory root and alter my classid
| > values
| > | to be like "classid=DLLNAME.dll#CONTROLNAME.ClassName" then they both
| > work as
| > | well, so I Know the IE hosting is working fine.
| > |
| > | When I go into the .Net 1.1 configuration under admin tools and and
set
| > up
| > | the assembly permissions, I can choose the Dll with both no problem
and
| > | assing it.
| > |
| > | However, when I try to "Evaluate Assembly" from Runtime Security
Policy
| > | link, it doesn't work for the NewCC.dll when I check for it against
the
| > | http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/NewCC.dll
| > |
| > | If I try the same thing against the
| > | http://localhost/<virtualdirectoryname>/bin/bin/Upload.dll
| > |
| > | it works fine.
| > |
| > | An excerpt of my weblog shows the following.
| > | 21:17:03 127.0.0.1 GET /WFIEI/bin/NewCC.dll 403
| > |
| > | Which indicates permissions problems.
| > |
| > | Can somebody maybe point me to some tools I can use to troubleshoot
the
| > | issue?
| > |
| > | thanks in advance
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Seg,

For IE hosted control's debugging, we'll need to attache the IE process, so
in bin dir won't help on debugging IE host control's code... Anyway, I'm
not sure whether this is a machine specific behavior since I haven't found
that VS IDE will change the IIS virtual dir permission on the "bin" dir...
As long as I configure it to readable, it will always remains this until
we explicitly change it....

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2VnZmFobHQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Problem with WinForms User Control Hosted in IE
| Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:10:07 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Steven,
|
| Right. And I understand why you would want to do that for a production
| environment, however, if I could somehow figure out some way to re-create
the
| ability of my project to access the bin directory upon start up, it would
| allow me to step into the code for debugging. That turned out to be
pretty
| darn handy, for the couple days that it was working that way. I'd really
like
| to get back to that point.
|
| Would this be the forum to discuss that? I think I'm pretty close to
being
| able to re-create it with the original downloaded project, but I haven't
been
| able to re-create it from scratch.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Seg
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Thanks for your response Seg,
| >
| > Yes, the bin dir is a particular directory which is used by asp.net
| > application to store application assemblies, so by default it should
not be
| > public to internet(so no read permission is granted), I'm not sure
whether
| > the IDE or extension will automatically reset it to non-read...
However, we
| > recommend that you put IE hosted control's assemblies in another sub
| > virtual directory in the application directory since they're not part
of
| > the asp.net application's assemblies (just used by the IE hosted
controls
| > which is running at clientside....)
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2VnZmFobHQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Problem with WinForms User Control Hosted in IE
| > | Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:14:03 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Hi Steven,
| > |
| > | Thank you for the reply.
| > |
| > | Yes. That is kind of what's going on. If I enter debugging mode in
my
| > VS
| > | .Net project, it doesn't see the DLL in the bin directory. If I then
| > manually
| > | go in and set the bin dir to read, then my web page can access the
DLL.
| > | However, as soon as I stop debugging and start again, the bin
directory
| > has
| > | been reset to not-readable.
| > |
| > | What was happing a couple days ago, and I think it had something to
do
| > with
| > | the server extensions, is that it wouldn't reset the bin directory to
| > | not-readable each time, so, as a result, the bin directory is
readable
| > when I
| > | step into debug mode, and I'm able to debug my winform control. I
thought
| > | that was pretty convenient.
| > |
| > | I'm still investigating. Is there a good reference on the server
| > extensions
| > | and that the following files control, do you know:
| > | _vti_cnf
| > | _vti_pvt
| > | _vti_script
| > | _vti_txt
| > |
| > | and inside the _vti_pvt folder I see the following files which I'd
like
| > | get more info on.
| > | access
| > | deptodoc.btr
| > | doctodep.btr
| > | service
| > | service.lck
| > | services
| > |
| > | If you don't know right off the top of your head, don't worry about
it,
| > I'm
| > | in the process of googling it now.
| > |