Problems Installing GtkGLext

Alex Gutteridge

Hi,

I'm having problems installing the Ruby bindings for GtkGlExt. I've
installed the latest version of GtkGlExt (v.1.0.6) which seems to have
installed the following libs:

/homes/alexg/lib/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.a
/homes/alexg/lib/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.la
/homes/alexg/lib/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so
/homes/alexg/lib/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so.0
/homes/alexg/lib/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so.0.2.4
/homes/alexg/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.a
/homes/alexg/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.la
/homes/alexg/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so
/homes/alexg/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0
/homes/alexg/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0.2.4

The GtkGlExt examples all run fine, so this seems to have installed
correctly. However, when I try to configure Ruby/GtkGlExt it says it
can't find gtkglext-1.0:

$ruby extconf.rb
checking for GCC... yes
checking for rb_define_alloc_func()... yes
checking for rb_block_proc()... yes
checking for new allocation framework... yes
checking for attribute assignment... yes
checking for gtkglext-1.0... no

The GtkGlExt libraries seem to call themselves libgtkglext-x11, is
this why extconf can't find them? If so should I rename the libraries,
or patch extconf?

Alex Gutteridge

Geoff Youngs

Alex said:
I'm having problems installing the Ruby bindings for GtkGlExt. I've
installed the latest version of GtkGlExt (v.1.0.6) which seems to have
installed the following libs:

The GtkGlExt libraries seem to call themselves libgtkglext-x11, is
this why extconf can't find them? If so should I rename the libraries,
or patch extconf?
I'm assuming from the information you provided that you should have a file
called /home/alexg/lib/pkgconfig/gtkglext-1.0.pc

The most likely cause of the problem is that your PKG_CONFIG_PATH
variable isn't set up correctly to find libraries installed in
non-system locations.
To set it, use something like (in a sh-style shell):

$ export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/alexg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

To check that pkg-config is now finding the .pc file use:
$ pkg-config --list-all|grep gtkglext

It should list:
gtkglext-x11-1.0 GtkGLExt - OpenGL Extension to GTK+ (x11
target)
gtkglext-1.0 GtkGLExt - OpenGL Extension to GTK+ (x11
target)

If it does, you'll just need to make sure that PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set
the same way before calling extconf.rb.

HTH,

Geoff.