Problems with ASP.NET temporary DLL's

Guest

I am running a high traffic web site on ASP.NET 2.0.

I'm getting this error every few days, usually when I deploy a control that
is very active.

The only way to fix this problem that I've found so far is to stop the web
service, delete the ASP.NET temporary files under
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files
and then restar tthe web service.

Needless to say this is not ideal. Any suggestions?

Here is the error message:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
'App_Web_titckuyi, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or
one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'App_Web_titckuyi, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null'
at
ASP.controls_footer_2_0_ascx.__BuildControlTree(controls_footer_2_0_ascx
__ctrl)
at ASP.controls_footer_2_0_ascx.FrameworkInitialize() in
c:\webs\phoenix\Controls\footer_2_0.ascx.cs:line 912306
at System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControlInternal()
at System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControl(Page page)
at ASP.feature_aspx.__BuildControlFooter1() in
c:\webs\phoenix\feature.aspx:line 203
at ASP.feature_aspx.__BuildControlTree(feature_aspx __ctrl) in
c:\webs\phoenix\feature.aspx:line 1
at ASP.feature_aspx.FrameworkInitialize() in
c:\webs\phoenix\feature.aspx.cs:line 912307
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at ASP.feature_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in
c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\447e2b24\efdf49af\App_Web_wbhxmovx.14.cs:line 0
at
System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
completedSynchronously)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind
failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gal,

Welcome to the MSDN newsgroup.

Regarding on the ASP.NET user control updating issue, you mentioned, it's
likely caused by the usercontrol get updated while some other
assembly(dynamic compiled) which reference the usercontrol still haven't
updated the reference info.

What's your deployment model for that web application? pure source
deployment(non-precompiled) or precompiled(updatable or non-updatable)?
Also ,when you update the usercontrol at runtime, do you only modify the
ascx template file or update both the ascx file and the assembly file(for
codebehind)?

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

DerrickD

Hi Steven,

I've seen several replies on this topic, and basically the website I
have built is having the same problem when it comes to deploying
updated User controls to an actively serving website.

In my scenario the site is pre-compiled and updateable, and while the
webserver is actively serving users and I re-deploy a single
modification in the .ascx file content (no changes to its code-behind)
the dynamic compilation in ASP.NET 2 causes this exception to occur.

The Server Environment is Win2003 Standard in a Web Farm environment (5
servers) We use Application Center and replication causes the changes
made to the primary node to replicate to the other 4 nodes. The issue
happened on the 4 dependant nodes, but not on the primary node.

The same problem happens during test deployment on a Windows XP box, so
is unrelated to what OS is used. Development causes no issues as
running the project through VS precompiles the entire site anyway.

Is there any way around this? as having to take a server out of the Web
Farm pool just to update the HTML content of a single control file is
not an acceptable solution.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Guest

Steve -

The deployment model for the web application is "pure source deployment"
(non-precompiled).

The last two times I've had this problem, I deployed only the .aspx file and
not the .aspx.cs file, since it hasn't changed.

Regards,
Gal

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Gal,

Since you deployed your applicaiton in pure source mode, all the pages will
be dynamically compiled. I think you can first check your web.config file
to see whether debug attribute in the <compilation> element is set to
"false". In addition, by default the dynamic compilation use batch
compilation which means it will batch compile bunch of pages or
usercontrols, it may cause some problem when we change some page or
usercontrols and the precompiled assembly of others not get updated. You
can try setting the <compilation> element's "batch" attribute to "false" to
see whether it can help eliminate the error.

Also, another means is try modifying the webconfig file or bin dir which
can cause the application restart, this can also make all the pages get
recompiled so as to avoid some assembly synchornizing issue.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Has a solution to this problem been released? I am having the same problem.
I just tried turning debug="false" and batch="false" today. I have not be
able to consistently reproduce this problem so only time will tell if this
helps. I do not like turning batch mode off because of performance
implications. Is Microsoft going to have a fix for this?

Thanks...