Problems with python23_d.lib built with Visual Studio 7.1

Paton J. Lewis

I built the Python 2.3.3 sources with Visual Studio 7.1 (the
conversion of the Visual C++ 6 project files appeared to work
without a hitch). Everything seems fine except when I try to link my
project with the debug Python library, in which case I get
unresolved symbols apparently because the Python debug library
symbol names have been modified in an unexpected fashion. For
example, the calling code asks for symbol __imp__Py_InitModule4
(which exists in python23.lib) but python23_d.lib contains
__imp__Py_InitModule4TraceRefs. Has anyone run into this problem
before?

Thanks,
Pat

Mark Hammond

Paton said:
I built the Python 2.3.3 sources with Visual Studio 7.1 (the
conversion of the Visual C++ 6 project files appeared to work
without a hitch). Everything seems fine except when I try to link my
project with the debug Python library, in which case I get
unresolved symbols apparently because the Python debug library
symbol names have been modified in an unexpected fashion. For
example, the calling code asks for symbol __imp__Py_InitModule4
(which exists in python23.lib) but python23_d.lib contains
__imp__Py_InitModule4TraceRefs. Has anyone run into this problem
before?

It sounds to me like you are trying to link your non-debug built
extension module with a debug built Python. A debug built extension
module will not have a reference to __imp__Py_InitModule4.

Make sure the code you are trying to link against Python23_d.dll is
compiled with /DDEBUG /D_DEBUG and /MDd.

Mark.