Profiling?

Alex Buell

Is there a way to profile a Perl program? for example, see where it
spends most of its time doing things? Thanks!

Regards,
Alex

Alex Buell

Is there a way to profile a Perl program? for example, see where it
spends most of its time doing things? Thanks!

Never mind, I've just discovered -DProf and dprofpp!

Thanks anyway,
Alex

brian d foy

Tad J said:
Your Question is Asked Frequently:

perldoc -q profile

The answer in the FAQ is a bit dated, but I've just fixed it to include
the latest technology in profiling. Once the web site updates you'll
be able to see the new answer at

http://faq.perl.org/perlfaq3.html#How_do_I_profile_my_

I also added a list of other things to read about profiling:

You can read more about profiling in I<Programming Perl>, chapter 20,
or I<Mastering Perl>, chapter 5.

L<perldebguts> documents creating a custom debugger if you need to
create a special sort of profiler. brian d foy describes the process
in I<The Perl Journal>, "Creating a Perl Debugger",
http://www.ddj.com/184404522 , and "Profiling in Perl"
http://www.ddj.com/184404580 .

Perl.com has two interesting articles on profiling: "Profiling Perl",
by Simon Cozens, http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/850 and "Debugging and
Profiling mod_perl Applications", by Frank Wiles,
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/02/09/debug_mod_perl.html .

Randal L. Schwartz writes about profiling in "Speeding up Your Perl
Programs" for I<Unix Review>,
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/col49.html , and "Profiling
in Template Toolkit via Overriding" for I<Linux Magazine>,
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col75.html .