progress bar

Miranda Evans

OS: Win2K
Python version: 2.2

Seeking references to documentation that discuss how a python script
can handle displaying a progress bar. Also, if you are aware of any
sample code that illustrates this, I'm interested in looking at that
sample code.

Are there ways to accomplish this that do not involve using a
full-featured GUI toolkit like Tkinter or wxPython or PythonCard?

Dave Brueck

OS: Win2K
Python version: 2.2

Seeking references to documentation that discuss how a python script
can handle displaying a progress bar. Also, if you are aware of any
sample code that illustrates this, I'm interested in looking at that
sample code.

Are there ways to accomplish this that do not involve using a
full-featured GUI toolkit like Tkinter or wxPython or PythonCard?

Try Venster:
http://venster.sourceforge.net

IIRC the test_coolbar.py script includes a progress bar.

-Dave

Jonathan Daugherty

# > Try Venster:
# > http://venster.sourceforge.net
# >
# > IIRC the test_coolbar.py script includes a progress bar.
#
# I wonder what possessed someone to start another GUI framework. Aren't
# there more than enough existing ones? The reasoning for it wasn't
# immediately apparent on the web page.

Aside from any pure utility, because it's fun. :)

--

Jonathan Daugherty
http://www.cprogrammer.org

"It's a book about a Spanish guy called Manual, you should read it."
-- Dilbert

Dave Brueck

Hoang said:
I wonder what possessed someone to start another GUI framework. Aren't
there more than enough existing ones? The reasoning for it wasn't
immediately apparent on the web page.

Well, the intro you read said:

"Venster is a highly native Windows GUI toolkit for Python based on the ctypes
ffi library. The aim of Venster is to be a very lightweight wrapper around the
standard Win32 API, making it easy to write slick windows applications in pure
Python. "

Being very lightweight is a big deal compared to many other frameworks. I
include Venster in one of my applications and it weighs in at under 100KB. If
size of download / installer is important, this is a real win compared to the
multi-megabyte size of most other frameworks - the entire application (Python +
Venster + app) is shipped in a 1.3 MB cab file.

The other thing worth noticing from the intro is that Venster is pure Python.
Because of that it's very easy to extend and you avoid all sorts of build
hassles because there _is_ no build.

IMO the main downside of Venster is that it is not yet as mature as other
frameworks, so programming in it is not nearly as highlevel as, say, wxPython.
Still, there's a number of places where it's a good fit already - at my company
we recently started using it in a new application where the UI is either done
in Flash or in a few dialog boxes, and Venster creates the Window to host the
UI, does the dialog boxes, and handles the events generated by Flash - it'd be
overkill to have to include all of wxPython just to get that functionality.

-Dave

Miranda Evans

Hoang said:
I wonder what possessed someone to start another GUI framework. Aren't
there more than enough existing ones? The reasoning for it wasn't
immediately apparent on the web page.

Hoang Do
http://jotsite.com

Newbie questions...what is meant by the term 'GUI framework'? I'm
aware of Tkinter, wxPython and PythonCard (which, I believe builds
from a wxPython foundation). Also, it appears as though pywin.mfc has
GUI capabilities. Are Tkinter, wxPython, PythonCard and pywin.mfc
considered GUI frameworks? Based on the 'more than enough...' remark,
it sounds like there are several GUI frameworks out there...what are
some others?

Josiah Carlson

Newbie questions...what is meant by the term 'GUI framework'? I'm
aware of Tkinter, wxPython and PythonCard (which, I believe builds
from a wxPython foundation). Also, it appears as though pywin.mfc has
GUI capabilities. Are Tkinter, wxPython, PythonCard and pywin.mfc
considered GUI frameworks? Based on the 'more than enough...' remark,
it sounds like there are several GUI frameworks out there...what are
some others?

Really, a GUI framework is a set of stuff that allows the construction
of a GUI more easily.

One could, with a bitmap drawing function, get mouse click and get key
press, create a GUI. This is a pain in the ass. All the GUI frameworks
available allow one to do that if they want, but also allow one to use
predefined sets of operations, objects, etc., commonly in a heirarchy,
to produce a GUI that is easier to write and to update.

There is a listing of GUI toolkits for various languages and platforms
available here:
http://home.pacbell.net/atai/guitool/
(I'm feeling lucky entry at google for 'python gui frameworks' )

- Josiah

P.S. I very much enjoy using wxPython.