Providing 'default' value with raw_input()?

Kent Johnson

planetthoughtful said:
My intention is to build a GUI for this app, yes, but given that I'm
about a week old in my learning of Python, I thought a command-line app
was a better place to start.

I had thought to build GUIs in wxPython - is Tkinter any easier to
learn?

Tkinter is quite easy to use for simple apps. Pythoncard is a layer on
top of wxPython that makes it easier to use, you might want to look at that.

Kent

Ernst Noch

Alex said:
In some situations it may be impractical to rely on the editor closing;
for example, the user's favorite editor might be a multitab one that's
big, heavy, and slow to start, so that the user doesn't close the whole
process but rather just a specific tab. In such cases, unless you can
build in some hook specific to the user's favorite editor (so you can
know when a specific tab/file is done getting edited), you may end up
requiring the user to press enter at your prompt to indicate he or she's
done editing, or some such semi-kludge. I cannot think of a
sufficiently general solution, given the variety of editors around, to
just magically divine the crucial "done with editing" condition...

Alex

The ExternalEditor product for Zope does this in a quite clever way -
probably not perfect, but it worked for me every time in windows and linux.
The product is used to be able to edit any Zope object in an external
editor and automatically transfer the edited file from the client to the
server after save.

The source can be found at http://plope.com/software/ExternalEditor.