Psyco on 64-bit machines

Russ P.

I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:

"Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
Thanks.

Russ P.

I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:

"Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
Thanks.

Has anyone tried this?

Diez B. Roggisch

Russ said:
I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:

"Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
Thanks.

Isn't the SUN Ultra using an ULTRA-Sparc core? If so, the point is moot.

Diez

Russ P.

I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:

"Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
Thanks.

I just stumbled across "unladen swallow," a "faster implementation of
Python." Is it ready for operational usage? How does it compare to
Psyco? I poked around their website a bit, but I don't see answers to
those questions. Thanks.

Robin Becker

Russ P. wrote:
I just stumbled across "unladen swallow," a "faster implementation of
Python." Is it ready for operational usage? How does it compare to
Psyco? I poked around their website a bit, but I don't see answers to
those questions. Thanks.

I've tried a few things with it. It mostly works, but it isn't actually faster
at normal programs. I've been told their target is for long running processes
where JIT and similar can speed up the inner loops etc etc. Certainly makes
sense for google apps in python so perhaps that's the intended end use.

Robin Becker

Russ P. wrote:
I just stumbled across "unladen swallow," a "faster implementation of
Python." Is it ready for operational usage? How does it compare to
Psyco? I poked around their website a bit, but I don't see answers to
those questions. Thanks.

I've tried a few things with it. It mostly works, but it isn't actually faster
at normal programs. I've been told their target is for long running processes
where JIT and similar can speed up the inner loops etc etc. Certainly makes
sense for google apps in python so perhaps that's the intended end use.

Jeremy Sanders

Russ said:
Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
Thanks.

You won't be able to access large amounts of memory in 32 bit mode. Also,
the x86-64 mode has more CPU registers than x86 mode, so Python will
typically run faster in 64 bit mode (this is more pronounced in AMD
processors, in my experience).

It will depend on your application whether 32 bit mode plus Psyco is faster
than 64 bit mode.

Jeremy