Py2.5.1 on Ubuntu AMD X2, unicode problems

Harry George

I'm building 2.5.1 from source, using the ubuntu(7.0.4)-provided gcc
4.1.2. Based on google searches and nints found, here is the process:

#---edit configure; test of wchar_t---
#include <ncursesw.h>
#include <wchar.h>
#-------------------------------------

cd Lib/test
rm test_multibyte*
cd ../..

#---edit Include/unicodeobject.h---
/* FIXME: MvL's new implementation assumes that Py_UNICODE_SIZE is
properly set, but the default rules below doesn't set it. I'll
sort this out some other day -- (e-mail address removed) */
#define Py_UNICODE_SIZE 4
#ifndef Py_UNICODE_SIZE
#----------------------------

LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib -lncursesw -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto ' \
../configure --prefix=/usr/local \
--with-gcc=/usr/bin/gcc \
--enable-shared \
--enable-unicode=usc4 \

#---edit Modules/Setup---
(all the std ones....)
SSL=/usr/local/ssl
_ssl _ssl.c \
-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

#---end edits---

gmake altinstall

I'm getting a failure during final libpython binding, on undefined
PyUnicodeUCS4_AsWideChar. All the other PyUnicodeUCS4... functions
are being found. It specifically says it is checking on the libpython
in /usr/local/lib (not somewhere in the source code build dirtree), so
that is a possible oddity. Checking with nm on the lib shows
"AsWideChar" is in fact undefined.

1. If I onfigure with unicode=ucs2, does all this go away and I get a
working system (efficient or not) on my 64-bit machine?

2. Can you point to a configure (and maybe patch) process which leads
to a clean "make altinstall".

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

I'm building 2.5.1 from source, using the ubuntu(7.0.4)-provided gcc

Something must be terribly wrong with your system if you have to go
through such hassles. It should build out of the box, and does for
me on Debian.

Regards,
Martin