Problems compiling Python 3.4 on Ubuntu

cool-RR

Hi,

I'm trying to install Python 3.4b3 on Ubuntu. Since compilation seems to be the only way, I'm trying that.

I downloaded the source, I changed Setup.dist to have this:

SSL=/usr
_ssl _ssl.c \
-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

I installed openssl and various sqlite packages beforehand.

But when I do this:

./configure --prefix=/opt/python3.4 && make && make install

I get, after a huge wall of text, this:

./Modules/_ssl.c:57:25: fatal error: openssl/rsa.h: No such file or directory
#include "openssl/rsa.h"
^
compilation terminated.

What do I do to solve this?

Thanks,
Ram.

Ervin Hegedüs

Hello,

Hi,

I'm trying to install Python 3.4b3 on Ubuntu. Since compilation seems to be the only way, I'm trying that.

I downloaded the source, I changed Setup.dist to have this:

SSL=/usr
_ssl _ssl.c \
-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto
[...]

./Modules/_ssl.c:57:25: fatal error: openssl/rsa.h: No such file or directory
#include "openssl/rsa.h"
^
compilation terminated.

What do I do to solve this?

try this:

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

cheers,

a.

Ram Rachum

Worked! Thanks Ervin!

Hello,

Hi,

I'm trying to install Python 3.4b3 on Ubuntu. Since compilation seems to
be the only way, I'm trying that.
I downloaded the source, I changed Setup.dist to have this:

SSL=/usr
_ssl _ssl.c \
-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto
[...]

./Modules/_ssl.c:57:25: fatal error: openssl/rsa.h: No such file or directory
#include "openssl/rsa.h"
^
compilation terminated.

What do I do to solve this?

try this:

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

cheers,

a.

Rustom Mody

Worked! Thanks Ervin!

In general its a good idea to *look at* what you get with

apt-get build-dep python3

You need not go ahead with installing what it says it will install
-- tends to pull in a lot of useless stuff -- but you may also see names
that are clearly needed

Chris Angelico

I think you're thinking of 3.2 -> 3.3. 3.3 added the lzma module,
which requires lzma-dev. I think 3.4 has the same requirements as
3.3.

Ah, that would be it, thanks. I just remembered I'd recently used
build-dep across versions and had to get something involving data
compression. Went digging for stuff starting with 'z', but missed this
because, well, it doesn't start with 'z' :) Thanks.

ChrisA

Rustom Mody

Ah, that would be it, thanks. I just remembered I'd recently used
build-dep across versions and had to get something involving data
compression. Went digging for stuff starting with 'z', but missed this
because, well, it doesn't start with 'z' :) Thanks.

Just curious: How do you go "digging for stuff starting with 'z'" ?

OR: How do you grep inside apt?

I know "dpkg -S pattern"

It helps to connect pattern with package
But no good if pattern is common -- Other day I was struggling with

dpkg -S which

Chris Angelico

Just curious: How do you go "digging for stuff starting with 'z'" ?

OR: How do you grep inside apt?

I know "dpkg -S pattern"

It helps to connect pattern with package
But no good if pattern is common -- Other day I was struggling with

dpkg -S which

dpkg --get-selections

will show all installed packages, in alphabetical order. Probably not useful.

dpkg --get-selections|grep -- '-dev'

will show all -dev packages, which IS useful. Except on a system that
I run, in which case you still need to eyeball roughly two hundred
installed packages :D Hence my failure to find the one I wanted.

ChrisA