pyinstaller and logging

Mike

Pyinstaller seems to have a problem with logging ...

I installed pyinstaller 1.3 - using it together with Python 2.6. I
used pyinstaller for a small project, the created .exe worked fine.
After some additional changes to my project I got strange run time
errors when running the .exe (but no problems when running the .py
file directly with the python interpreter). I stripped down my program
and tracked the problem down to the first log message being written.

So this is a stripped down version of the python script:

import logging
logging.basicConfig(level=logging.INFO,
format='%(asctime)-15s %(levelname)-8s %(message)
s',
datefmt='%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S',
filename="test1.log",
filemode='w')
print "written via print"
logging.info("written via logging")

when I start this from the python shell I am getting
IDLE 2.6.2 ==== No Subprocess ====and test1.log contains
2009-05-05 19:39:52 INFO written via logging
as expected.

When I start test1.exe I am getting

written via print
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 8, in <module>
File "c:\dokumente und einstellungen\dieter\eigene dateien\collector
\v0r0m2\buildtest1\out1.pyz/logging", line 1451, in info
File "c:\dokumente und einstellungen\dieter\eigene dateien\collector
\v0r0m2\buildtest1\out1.pyz/logging", line 1030, in info
File "c:\dokumente und einstellungen\dieter\eigene dateien\collector
\v0r0m2\buildtest1\out1.pyz/logging", line 1142, in _log
File "c:\dokumente und einstellungen\dieter\eigene dateien\collector
\v0r0m2\buildtest1\out1.pyz/logging", line 1117, in makeRecord
File "c:\dokumente und einstellungen\dieter\eigene dateien\collector
\v0r0m2\buildtest1\out1.pyz/logging", line 272, in __init__
File "C:\Programme\pyinstaller-1.3\iu.py", line 312, in importHook
mod = _self_doimport(nm, ctx, fqname)
File "C:\Programme\pyinstaller-1.3\iu.py", line 398, in doimport
exec co in mod.__dict__
File "c:\dokumente und einstellungen\dieter\eigene dateien\collector
\v0r0m2\buildtest1\out1.pyz/multiprocessing", line 83, in <module>
File "C:\Programme\pyinstaller-1.3\iu.py", line 312, in importHook
mod = _self_doimport(nm, ctx, fqname)
File "C:\Programme\pyinstaller-1.3\iu.py", line 382, in doimport
mod = director.getmod(nm)
File "C:\Programme\pyinstaller-1.3\iu.py", line 215, in getmod
mod = owner.getmod(nm)
File "C:\Programme\pyinstaller-1.3\iu.py", line 77, in getmod
mod = imp.load_module(nm, fp, attempt, (ext, mode, typ))
TypeError: importHook() takes at most 5 arguments (6 given)

What am I doing wrong?

Vinay Sajip

[...]

Apparently, PyInstaller only supports versions of Python between 1.5
and 2.4:

http://www.pyinstaller.org/#Requirements

So, you are using it in an unsupported environment. I see you've cross-
posted this to the PyInstaller mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/PyInstaller

I hope someone on that list can help. An additional bit of information
from your traceback is that line 272 in 2.6's logging/__init__.py is
one that says "from multiprocessing import current_process". As this
line is only executed if logging.logMultiProcessing is set, you may be
able to work around by setting logging.logMultiProcessing to False in
your app initialisation. Of course, this might just result in a
failure somewhere else...

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

Mike

Apparently, PyInstaller only supports versions of Python between 1.5
and 2.4:

http://www.pyinstaller.org/#Requirements

So, you are using it in an unsupported environment. I see you've cross-
posted this to the PyInstaller mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/PyInstaller

I hope someone on that list can help. An additional bit of information
from your traceback is that line 272 in 2.6's logging/__init__.py is
one that says "from multiprocessing import current_process". As this
line is only executed if logging.logMultiProcessing is set, you may be
able to work around by setting logging.logMultiProcessing to False in
your app initialisation. Of course, this might just result in a
failure somewhere else...

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

Shame on me - I somehow skipped the requirement from pyinstaller just
supporting python between 1.5 and 2.4 ... - thanks for your help - I
was aware it is not supporting python 3.0 (I searched a tool
creating .exes for Python 3.0 in the first place). I googled around
and found some recommendations for pyinstaller, but with the
restriction "it is just supporting the latest version of 2.x but not
3.0 of python". I never double checked on the formal requirements on
the pyinstaller site... .

Your hint regarding logging.logMultiProcessing=False did not change
the problem. As I do not want to switch to python 2.4 I will have to
look for something else. I tried py2exe today, which seems to work
fine for my project (and officially supports python 2.6 ;-) ) - it is
able to create an exe file within a dist directory, but not a single
executable like pyinstaller is doing it. But this is fine enough for
me just now.