[pylint] why pylint wants only capitals identifiers?

Giacomo Boffi

i have this code

def example(a):
return lambda b: a+b+1

fun = example(10)
k_1 = fun(7)

and pylint tells me

[...]
C: 4: Invalid name "fun" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
C: 5: Invalid name "k_1" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
[...]

afaict, [A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]* identifiers should be used for constants, and
i don't think of fun or k_1 as constants... what's going on?

tia,

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Giacomo said:
i have this code

def example(a):
return lambda b: a+b+1

fun = example(10)
k_1 = fun(7)

and pylint tells me

[...]
C: 4: Invalid name "fun" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
C: 5: Invalid name "k_1" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
[...]

afaict, [A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]* identifiers should be used for constants, and
i don't think of fun or k_1 as constants... what's going on?

tia,
Pylint default rules need some tuning, it's highly configurable for that
purpose.
Some ppl like to think 'module variables' are constants thus should be
upper case. If you disagree with that statement like I do, you can
simply rewrite the regexp for module variables.

However, given you example, you should not insert code execution at you
module level, unless it's required only at the module import. I dont
know what is your module purpose but I bet it has no legitimate
attribute 'fun'.

JM

Giacomo Boffi

Jean-Michel Pichavant said:
Giacomo said:
i have this code

def example(a):
return lambda b: a+b+1

fun = example(10)
k_1 = fun(7)

and pylint tells me

[...]
C: 4: Invalid name "fun" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
C: 5: Invalid name "k_1" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
[...]
Pylint default rules need some tuning

ok, but maybe it's not my specific problem (see below)
However, given you example, you should not insert code execution at
you module level, unless it's required only at the module import. I
dont know what is your module

module? this was not well specified in my OP, but i'd rather speak of
a "script" instead of a module...

maybe should i use the

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

idiom to keep happy my pylint? oh, let's do it... it should be easy
isn't it?

thanks,

Giacomo Boffi

Giacomo Boffi said:
module? this was not well specified in my OP, but i'd rather speak of
a "script" instead of a module...

maybe should i use the

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

idiom to keep happy my pylint? oh, let's do it... it should be easy
isn't it?

well, it's not so easy... pylint complains (correctly) about too many
local variables in main(), and about other things for different
adjustments i tried

i think i will put some variable at top level, CAPITALIZED, with the
intention of making evident that those values are the data of the
problem, as well as other quantities that are computed once from base
data, and then use these capitalized global variables inside my main
function --- tonight, at home

thank you again,

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Giacomo said:
Giacomo said:
i have this code

def example(a):
return lambda b: a+b+1

fun = example(10)
k_1 = fun(7)

and pylint tells me

[...]
C: 4: Invalid name "fun" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
C: 5: Invalid name "k_1" (should match (([A-Z_][A-Z0-9_]*)|(__.*__))$)
[...]
Pylint default rules need some tuning

ok, but maybe it's not my specific problem (see below)

However, given you example, you should not insert code execution at
you module level, unless it's required only at the module import. I
dont know what is your module

module? this was not well specified in my OP, but i'd rather speak of
a "script" instead of a module...

If by "script" you mean quick-and-dirty, then why bother running pylint
on it ? Sounds out of topic to me.

But if you still care about how correctly structured you script should
be, then it should be written almost like a module.

- do not write executable code at the module level
- if a function needs an information, it should ask for it as a
parameter, not using a de-scoped variable (aka global variables)
- if a function ask for too many parameters, then it may ask for few
objects instead (e.g. plot(x,y,z) => plot(point), poor example though, 3
paramaters are acceptable)
- it's better if your script can be imported in a separate file and
tested there

the list could contain many more items, and the more item you implement
the closer to a module you get.

JM