Python 2.4 Uninstall Entry in WinXP Registry

Brad Tilley

Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3'

When this key was removed, Python no longer appeared in the Windows 'Add
Remove Programs' list. We would remove this registry key to keep users
from uninstalling the software accidentally.

Python 2.4 does not use this registry entry on the two machines I have
installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

Thanks,
Brad

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Brad said:
Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3' [...]
Python 2.4 does not use this registry entry on the two machines I have
installed it on... any tips on how to locate this?

It's under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{82D9302E-F209-4805-B548-52087047483A}

which is the product code of Python 2.4. Notice that Python 2.4.1
will use a different product code.

However, if you merely want to avoid that users remove the package,
you can set the ARPNOREMOVE property during installation, e.g.

msiexec /i python24.msi ARPNOREMOVE=1

You might want to set ARPNOMODIFY and ARPNOREPAIR as well.

If you cannot readily pass that property on the command line during
installation, you can use orca.exe (or a python script) to add this
property to the Property table of python24.msi.

If you have W2k or later, you can also set the "NoRemove" registry
value under the key above, to hide the remove feature after
installation.

HTH,
Martin

Brad Tilley

Martin said:
Brad said:
Python 2.3 placed a registry key under:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Python2.3'

[...]

[...]

That's very helpful, thanks Martin! How do I set the install path to
c:\Program Files?

Brad Tilley

Brad said:
Martin said:
Brad said:
[...]

I found the documentation here:

http://python.fyxm.net/2.4/msi.html

Brad Tilley

Martin said:
The original, of course, is at

http://python.org/2.4/msi.html

Regards,
Martin

Thanks Martin... going to a .msi was a great move... we can do fully
automated, unattended installs now. I appreaciate your work.

P.S. Here's what my batch install file currently looks like:

msiexec /i python-2.4.msi /qb! ALLUSERS=1 ARPNOREMOVE=1 ARPNOMODIFY=1
ARPNOREPAIR=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\Python24"