Python Card alternatives?

rzed

Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
table management screen, or a data entry front end for a program with
a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?

I've been looking at Rebol lately, and it has some points of interest.
I much prefer Python as a language, but Rebol View's layout
specifications are wonderfully concise, and the support code seems to
be fairly straightforward as well. Has anyone tried to mimic their
approach in Python?

Tim Johnson

* rzed said:
Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
table management screen, or a data entry front end for a program with
a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?

I've been looking at Rebol lately, and it has some points of interest.
I much prefer Python as a language, but Rebol View's layout
specifications are wonderfully concise, and the support code seems to
be fairly straightforward as well. Has anyone tried to mimic their
approach in Python?
I've used rebol for over 11 years. Longer than I have used python.
I've not used rebol/view however, since my meal-ticket is console
and web progamming. I'm guessing that you are going to find that
difficult to do, but my suggestion would be:

1)Get into one of the rebol communities - probably thru altme.
2)You will find that most rebol programmers work in other
languages also, and quite a few (like me) in python.
3)You are likely to get a lot of ideas there.

cheers

Adam Tauno Williams

Desktop apps don't seem to be the wave of the future, but they still
serve a useful purpose today. They can be ideal for a quick database
table management screen,

+1, they are perfect for that, and will be around for a *long* *long*
time. And I doubt they will ever go away - the web app will change to
be more desktopish. Gtk already has an experimental HTML canvas
backend, GNOME3 is a canvas controlled via JavaScript, etc...
or a data entry front end for a program with
a bunch of parameters. It's not easy enough to build a quick utility
with a GUI front end, though. Wax and PythonCard (and maybe others)
tried to hit that niche, but development on both is spotty at best.
Some claim that Dabo's gui builder is a good one for this purpose, and
maybe it can be. Are there any other, better solutions?

My advice is to keep it simple. Gtk/Glade works perfectly well for this
purpose. The glue code required is trivial.

Wolfgang Keller

Are there any other, better solutions?

Others are e.g.:
- Pypapi
- Camelot
- Kiwi
- Sqlkit
- Gnuenterprise
etc...

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Keller

Are there any other, better solutions?
Others are e.g.:
- Pypapi
- Camelot
- Kiwi
- Sqlkit
- Gnuenterprise

And I've just learned of another one:

- QtAlchemy

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

rzed

Others are e.g.:
- Pypapi
- Camelot
- Kiwi
- Sqlkit
- Gnuenterprise
etc...

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Many thanks to all of you for the interesting responses. As is so
often the case with Python, there are many options, and many possible
approaches to solutions for the same problem. I have some reading to
do, I see.