Python for professsional Windows GUI apps?

sturlamolden

That's great. But do you know of anything I can use as a
visual form design tool in wxPython?

Right... I don't know if you are trying to be funny, but as I said
there is wxFormBuilder...

3.0 generates XRC that you can use with wxPython.
3.1 beta generates wxPython classes you can subclass.

Honestly, it's the best GUI builder for wxPython I know of.

Che M

Combined with the comment above about issues with printing, it looks
like Python for GUI apps isn't a very good idea :-/

I don't have that feeling at all. I don't have that much of a basis
of comparison, but my experience with wxPython for making GUI apps
has been pretty good.

Does anyone know of a wxPython "gallery" of apps using it? That'd
be the quickest way to prove its usefulness.

Che

Che M

That's great. But do you know of anything I can use as a
visual form design tool in wxPython?

If in your mind GUI-builder = form builder (or close enough)
there's Boa Constructor (my choice) and wxGlade.

Robert Kern

Right... I don't know if you are trying to be funny, but as I said
there is wxFormBuilder...

3.0 generates XRC that you can use with wxPython.
3.1 beta generates wxPython classes you can subclass.

Honestly, it's the best GUI builder for wxPython I know of.

It's possible that he is not asking for a visual form designer tool *for*
building a wxPython app, but one that can be used *inside* a wxPython app like
an IDE or something similar.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Neuruss

Hi,

You could have a look at Camelot, to see if it fits
your needs :http://www.conceptive.be/projects/camelot/

it was developed with cross platform business apps in
mind.  when developing Camelot, we tried to build it using
wxWidgets first (because of the licensing at that time),
but it turned out that developing with QT proved to be
much more straightforward.  QT is documented very well
and you seldom encounter 'strange' issues that cost hours
of time to pinpoint and fix.

the datagrid was developed to be able to handle millions
of database records without glitches and is flexible thanks
to QT's model-view-delegate framework.

we do print barcodes with this app (even directly to
zebra printers)

if you have questions regarding Camelot, please feel free
to post on our mailing list :http://groups.google.com/group/project-camelot

Regards,

Erik

Looks interesting, but I wonder if I can use Camelot without its ORM.
I feel that ORMs make easy things easier, but complex things much
harder...
Can I use it with plain old sql?

Luis

Peter Decker

That's great. But do you know of anything I can use as a
visual form design tool in wxPython?

You mean you prefer the wxPython style of coding? No, I don't know
what's available. Once I discovered that Dabo is the smart way to get
all the benefits of wxPython without the ugly C++ style of coding, I
haven't used raw wxPython.

Vivian Wang

Hello

        I was wondering if some people in this ng use Python and some GUI
toolkit (PyWin32, wxWidgets, QT, etc.) to build professional
applications, and if yes, what it's like, the pros and cons, etc.

I'm especially concerned about the lack of controls, the lack of
updates (lots of controls in wxWidgets are 1.0 deadware), and problems
linked to how to update users' PC remotely when I build a new version
using eg. Py2exe.

I need controls for business apps like access to databases, good data
grid, printing reports (with or without barcodes), etc.

Thank you.

Hello

I was wondering if some people in this ng use Python and some
GUI
toolkit (PyWin32, wxWidgets, QT, etc.) to build professional
applications, and if yes, what it's like, the pros and cons, etc.

I'm especially concerned about the lack of controls, the lack of
updates (lots of controls in wxWidgets are 1.0 deadware), and problems
linked to how to update users' PC remotely when I build a new version
using eg. Py2exe.

I need controls for business apps like access to databases, good data
grid, printing reports (with or without barcodes), etc.

Thank you.

You can try biform:
http://www.bilive.com/download/Setup_BiForm_V2.1_en.msi.zip

Demo:
http://www.bilive.com/demo/BiForm_EN_demo.htm

More demo:(Chinese version)
http://www.bilive.com/demo/

BiForm is a form designer,one designed form will deploy as a PFF file.
BiReader is a runtime PFF file process engine for end-users.
Setup file above include BiForm and BiReader.

Main features:
*Python as script language,base on QT GUI library
*Visible form designer
*Internal database access framework
*Auto connect database,auto create tables
*Supports SQLite/Mssql2000/Sybase ASE,not need write diffrent script
for diffrent database at most time
*Simple deploy,simple upgrade
*Different forms can share same tables, they will auto cooperation
with other forms at runtime.If you want to deploy a new function , not
need uninstall other forms,deploy the new PFF file is enough .

erikj

Looks interesting, but I wonder if I can use Camelot without its ORM.
I feel that ORMs make easy things easier, but complex things much
harder...
Can I use it with plain old sql?

Luis

Yes and no :)

It uses sqlalchemy as it's orm, which is quite flexible and allows the
use of
plain old sql, but you still have to map the result to objects for the
GUI to
to handle them.

You are right that the ORM makes easy things easier, eg. what we do a
lot is
to create our core model using the ORM, and then create the different
summaries
directly as views in the database (since these are usually very
complex
queries, and those tend to be easier to write/debug in plain old
sql). Then
we use the ORM again to map those views back to objects and have them
visualized.

Cheers,

Erik