Python GUI for animation

Virgil Stokes

I have been using Python for a short time and I find it a very flexible
language, and easy to learn and use. I have also worked some with PyGame
and used it to create a simple animation that is controlled by the mouse
and keyboard. The animation is designed to move filled circles around on
the screen and is driven by a data file that defines (indirectly), the
next relative position of each circle. And for my purposes (queueing
demo in the classroom) this works quite well. However, I would now like
to create a Python GUI that would allow a user to control the animation,
via buttons, sliders, etc.

I am certainly not a Python expert and have never worked with the
creation of a GUI. I would appreciate greatly any advice from those who
have worked with Python GUIs as to the best way to proceed.

Thank you in advance,
V. Stokes

Sean DiZazzo

[...]

I think Tkinter would be a good starting point. It is pretty simple
to use and gives you lots of freedom to create whatever you want. It
doesn't look as nice as some of the other GUI toolkits, but it is
generally easier to work with.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

Then again, you mention sliders, knobs, etc. I don't think Tkinter
has alot of widgets built in. The other choice would be wxPython.
It's got lots of built in widgets, and it looks pretty good. If you
go this route, run the demo application to see what you have to work
with.

http://wxpython.org/

Good luck.

~Sean

r0g

Then again, you mention sliders, knobs, etc. I don't think Tkinter
has alot of widgets built in. The other choice would be wxPython.
It's got lots of built in widgets, and it looks pretty good. If you
go this route, run the demo application to see what you have to work
with.

http://wxpython.org/

Good luck.

~Sean

Yes, I'd say wxPython is the way to go, mainly because of the numerous
and excellent examples and example program.

Also, gui stuff can be lengthy and verbose to code by hand and if you're
using wxPython you can also use wxGlade, a python version of the popular
Glade gui builder.

Good luck :]

Roger Heathcote.

http://www.technicalbloke.com