Python IDE/Eclipse

Dave Boland

I'm looking for a good IDE -- easy to setup, easy to use -- for Python.
Any suggestions?

I use Eclipse for other projects and have no problem with using it for
Python, except that I can't get PyDev to install. It takes forever,
then produces an error that makes no sense.

An error occurred while installing the items
session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile,
phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install,
operand=null --> [R]org.eclipse.cvs 1.0.400.v201002111343,
action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.InstallBundleAction).
Cannot connect to keystore.
This trust engine is read only.
The artifact file for
osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.cvs,1.0.400.v201002111343 was not found.

Any suggestions on getting this to work?

Thanks,
Dave

Zach Dziura

I've honestly always used either PyDev or IDLE. However, Python is pretty easy to usd without a big IDE slowing you down, so you could also use a developer's text editor like Notepad++ or gedit and still be good.

Moises Alberto Lindo Gutarra

I like Aptana Studio
http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3

--
Atte.
Moisés Alberto Lindo Gutarra

smackay

You can get a lot done, if not everything, with a simple editor
however for me an IDE is awesome for digging around in the django
internals to see how it all works.

I used PyDev initially then onto emacs but finally I settled on
PyCharm - it's just like PyDev except that everything works.

Stuart

2011/8/26 Dave Boland said:
[...]

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dave said:
I'm looking for a good IDE -- easy to setup, easy to use -- for Python.
Any suggestions?

PyDev (currently 2.2.1.2011073123, from the Aptana Studio 3.0.4 Plugin; but
I can see that 2.2.2 has been released).
I use Eclipse for other projects and have no problem with using it for
Python, except that I can't get PyDev to install. It takes forever,
then produces an error that makes no sense.

An error occurred while installing the items
session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile,
phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install,
operand=null --> [R]org.eclipse.cvs 1.0.400.v201002111343,
action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.InstallBundleAction).
Cannot connect to keystore.
This trust engine is read only.
The artifact file for
osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.cvs,1.0.400.v201002111343 was not found.

Any suggestions on getting this to work?

Your Eclipse version is apparently a bit old (note the build/sign date of
the requested CVS package). Although PyDev is documented to work with
Eclipse 3.2 to 3.7, try a newer version (but make a backup of your workspace
before). Indigo (3.7) was released on 2011-06-22 CE. The corresponding CVS
package version is (perhaps with updates) 3.3.400.I20110510-0800.

If you use PyDev from Aptana, you have to uninstall standalone PyDev first.

I can still recommend using Aptana for Eclipse 3.7 on GNU/Linux, where it is
running without problems so far. However, in Eclipse 3.7 on Windows 7,
after the latest Aptana update (3.0.4), PDT collided in their Content-Type
settings with Aptana PHP Editor, so I had to uninstall the Aptana plugin in
order to get any PHP editor working again.

UncleLaz

[...]

I use Aptana Studio 3, it's pretty good and it's based on eclipse

flebber

[...]

Emacs with emacs-for-python makes the install and setup a breeze and
emacs does a lot for you without much learning.
http://gabrielelanaro.github.com/emacs-for-python/

geany is great I use it the most.
http://www.geany.org/

Finally this is a fairly new project, but it could be pretty good.
they are heavy in development of version 2. Ninja ide
http://ninja-ide.org/
they provide packages for Debian/ubuntu fedora mandriva & windows and
the developers are very helpful if you have any issues or questions
jump on IRC for a chat.

Sayth

Alec Taylor

Editra

[...]

Fabio Zadrozny

I'm looking for a good IDE -- easy to setup, easy to use -- for Python.  Any
suggestions?

I use Eclipse for other projects and have no problem with using it for
Python, except that I can't get PyDev to install.  It takes forever, then
produces an error that makes no sense.

An error occurred while installing the items
 session context was:(profile=PlatformProfile,
phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install,
operand=null --> [R]org.eclipse.cvs 1.0.400.v201002111343,
action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.InstallBundleAction).
 Cannot connect to keystore.
 This trust engine is read only.
 The artifact file for osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.cvs,1.0.400.v201002111343 was
not found.

Any suggestions on getting this to work?

In the install dialog, uncheck the 'contact all update sites during
install to find required software'.

Another option would be getting Aptana Studio 3, which has PyDev
preinstalled (see: http://pydev.org/download.html )

Cheers,

Fabio