Python Imaging Library download link broken?

peter

Just got a new computer and I'm trying to download my favourite
applications. All's well until I get to PIL, and here pythonware and
effbot both return a 502 Proxy error.

Is this just a temporary glitch, or something more serious? And if
it's the latter, is there any alternative source?

Peter

olivergeorge

Ditto. Anyone know what's happening with pythonware? (and why PIL is
such a pain to install for that matter.)

Tim Harig

"apt-get install python-imaging", anybody?

C:\>apt-get install python-imaging
Bad command or file name

Nope.

01:10,501$ apt-get install python-imaging
bash: apt-get: command not found

Not quite; but, it does give me an idea. Debian usually keeps the
origional source packages in their package repositories:

02:09,502,(1)$ wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-imaging/python1.1.5.orig.tar.gz
=> `python-imaging_1.1.5.orig.tar.gz'
Resolving ftp.de.debian.org... 141.76.2.4
Connecting to ftp.de.debian.org|141.76.2.4|:80... connected.
Length: 429,570 (420K) [application/x-gzip]

100%[=========================================>] 429,570 246.97K/s

02:09:43 (246.26 KB/s) - `python-imaging_1.1.5.orig.tar.gz' saved [429570/429570]

01:10,503$

Now that's the ticket!

Tim Harig

Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.

Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I first
started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked great until
the depency database corrupted itself. Since then, I have learned to
install using whatever package manager but to upgrade or install new
packages from source.

peter

Whilst this is an interesting discussion about installers, I'm still
trying to find a copy of PIL. Any ideas?

peter

Thanks for this - looks promising. But I've just tried pythonware
again and it's back up - so it was just a glitch after all.

Peter

magicus

Sounds more like broken OS with no integrated package management.

:p

It works here in the sense that it reports that there is nothing to do
as it is already installed.

ciao,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Package managers with dependency tracking were all the rage when I first
started using Linux. So I tried Red Hat and everything worked great until
the depency database corrupted itself.

I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over about
the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency database
corruption of which you speak.

If you thought they were "all the rage" before, they're pretty much
mandatory now.

Steven D'Aprano

I have been using and administering various flavours of Linux--Red Hat,
SuSE, Mandrake (before it was Mandriva), Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu--over
about the last decade, and I have NEVER seen this mythical dependency
database corruption of which you speak.

Really? I've seen it, or at least something that looks like it if you
squint. In my experience, it can usually be fixed by:

yum clean all

on recent Redhat based systems. Worst case, there may be a lockfile that
needs deleting as well.

David Lyon

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce a GUI package manager (v 0.12) for
Python versions 2.x under Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonpkgmgr/

It's tightly linked to the pypi repository and offers
the following functions:

- search packages on pypi by name

- install (via easyinstall or pip)

- deinstall/remove packages

- see package documentation

- see package examples

- install .EGG packages

- Generate package manifest

If you find any issues, please don't hesitate to report
them via our tracker on the project page.

Regards

David