Python list archives double-gzipped?

Tim Chase

Playing around with the mbox module, I reached into the archives[1]
to grab some real-world data files[2]. To successfully unpack the
contents to an mbox file, I had to do the following:

bash$ gunzip 2012-July.txt.gz
bash$ mv 2012-July.txt 2012-July.txt.gz
bash$ gunzip 2012-July.txt.gz

So it looks like some [email protected] archiving process is double
gzip'ing the archives. Can anybody else confirm this and get the
info the right people?

-tkc

[1]
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/