[python-list] - what do you think ?

przemolicc

Hello,

I have just subscribed to this python-list@ and this is my N list.
Usually many mailing lists use square brackets to identify its name
when you have e-mails from different forums.
Would you consider adding [] to this list also ?

Please compare both version below:
5350 Feb 07 Richard Holmes ( 20) PIL Open Problem
5351 N Feb 07 Corey Richardson ( 17) ??>
5352 N Feb 08 Ben Finney ( 28) ??>
5376 N Feb 07 Collins, Kevin [BEELINE] ( 35) Re: [rhelv5-list] ext4 options
5385 N Feb 07 Bob Friesenhahn ( 22) Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS and TRIM - No need for TRIM
5386 N Feb 07 Eric D. Mudama ( 25) ??>
5387 N Feb 07 Nevins Duret ( 215) [Tutor] Converting From Unicode to ASCII!!
5388 N Feb 08 David Hutto ( 138) ??>
5389 N Feb 08 David Hutto ( 7) ??>
5390 N Feb 08 David Hutto ( 9) ??>
5391 N Feb 08 Mr. Bean ( 9) Somehing interesting
5392 N Feb 08 Mr. Bean ( 9) ??>
5393 N Feb 07 nguytom ( 11) [Veritas-bu] How to use the DataDomain system cleaning process
5394 N Feb 07 David Stanaway ( 29) ??>Re: [Veritas-bu] How to use the DataDomain system cleaning process

and

5350 Feb 07 Richard Holmes ( 20) [python-list] PIL Open Problem
5351 N Feb 07 Corey Richardson ( 17) ??>
5352 N Feb 08 Ben Finney ( 28) ??>
5376 N Feb 07 Collins, Kevin [BEELINE] ( 35) Re: [rhelv5-list] ext4 options
5385 N Feb 07 Bob Friesenhahn ( 22) Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS and TRIM - No need for TRIM
5386 N Feb 07 Eric D. Mudama ( 25) ??>
5387 N Feb 07 Nevins Duret ( 215) [Tutor] Converting From Unicode to ASCII!!
5388 N Feb 08 David Hutto ( 138) ??>
5389 N Feb 08 David Hutto ( 7) ??>
5390 N Feb 08 David Hutto ( 9) ??>
5391 N Feb 08 Mr. Bean ( 9) [python-list] Somehing interesting
5392 N Feb 08 Mr. Bean ( 9) ??>
5393 N Feb 07 nguytom ( 11) [Veritas-bu] How to use the DataDomain system cleaning process
5394 N Feb 07 David Stanaway ( 29) ??>Re: [Veritas-bu] How to use the DataDomain system cleaning process

Kind regards
przemol 'Seamie'

Peter Otten

I have just subscribed to this python-list@ and this is my N list.
Usually many mailing lists use square brackets to identify its name
when you have e-mails from different forums.
Would you consider adding [] to this list also ?

A better approach is to configure your email client to move mails with

into a separate folder.

przemolicc

I have just subscribed to this python-list@ and this is my N list.
Usually many mailing lists use square brackets to identify its name
when you have e-mails from different forums.
Would you consider adding [] to this list also ?

No thank you.

Either your mail client already knows how to filter messages
appropriately depending on which mailing list they came from; or, you
should use a better mail client.

mutt is quite good ;-)
Either way, please don't ask for the subject lines to be munged.

Any technical reason why not ?

Regards
Przemek

Ethan Furman

Would you consider adding [] to this list also ?

No thank you.

Any technical reason why not ?

Nope. Just don't care for it. For those of us who have our e-mails
automatically sorted into folders, having [python-list] in the subject
line would be incredibly redundant. Also, it's a waste of horizontal space.

I believe you could use a mail preprocessor, like Fetchmail or Procmail,
to modify your e-mails before you receive them, though.

Good luck!

~Ethan~

Terry Reedy

Any technical reason why not ?

For one reason, python-list exchanges messages with both
comp.lang.python and gmane.comp.python.general (the latter is how I read
it), and newsreaders already separate messages by group. I also read
pydev and a couple of sig lists via gmane, so extra headers would be noise.

Grant Edwards

I have just subscribed to this python-list@ and this is my N list.
Usually many mailing lists use square brackets to identify its name
when you have e-mails from different forums.
Would you consider adding [] to this list also ?

Please don't.

1) It's redundant. There are already header lines to identify the
fact that the message is from the python mailing list.

2) A lot of subscribers read the list in its own mailbox or newsgroup
(e.g. via gmane.org), so identifying the list in the subject would
just be a waste of pixels.

3) If you want to add stuff to the subject line for your own use,
it's trivial with something like procmail.

Kushal Kumaran

Usually many mailing lists use square brackets to identify its name
when you have e-mails from different forums.
Would you consider adding [] to this list also ?

Please don't.

  1) It's redundant.  There are already header lines to identify the
        fact that the message is from the python mailing list.

  2) A lot of subscribers read the list in its own mailbox or newsgroup
        (e.g. via gmane.org), so identifying the list in the subject would
        just be a waste of pixels.

  3) If you want to add stuff to the subject line for your own use,
        it's trivial with something like procmail.

4) Some of us like to read email on our phones and like to use the limited horizontal space for actual content.

przemolicc

For one reason, python-list exchanges messages with both
comp.lang.python and gmane.comp.python.general (the latter is how I read
it), and newsreaders already separate messages by group. I also read
pydev and a couple of sig lists via gmane, so extra headers would be
noise.

It is important technical reason.
Thank you. :)

Regards