Python packaging usabilty (distutils) - automatic downloadingrequired packages

XLiIV

There is many packaging solutions for python.
I was confused about that but it's nothing. I had to pick one of them.
I picked distutils because it's part of standard python since 3.3, am
i right?
My goal is to write setup.py with this feature: 'download required
package if not installed already, like sqlalchemy'.
How can I achieve that with DISTUTILS?
I found out that is not possible, seriously? I can't believe that.
It's basic function, I think.
Do I really switch to setuptools?

Stefan Behnel

XLiIV, 25.02.2012 15:47:
There is many packaging solutions for python.
I was confused about that but it's nothing. I had to pick one of them.
I picked distutils because it's part of standard python since 3.3, am
i right?

Distutils has been part of Python's stdlib for ages.

My goal is to write setup.py with this feature: 'download required
package if not installed already, like sqlalchemy'.
How can I achieve that with DISTUTILS?
I found out that is not possible, seriously? I can't believe that.
It's basic function, I think.
Do I really switch to setuptools?

No, use "distribute" instead.

Stefan