Python question

Binary

How much space approximately is required to install the following packs on
Windows XP?

pycairo-1.4.12-2.win32-py2.6.exe
python-2.6.1.msi
pygobject-2.14.2-2.win32-py2.6.exe
pygtk-2.12.1-3.win32-py2.6.exe
pywin32-213.win32-py2.6.exe
gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe

Does all this packs requires installation, or it's possible just extract
and place them in to C: drive, then to set environment variables properly?
Does this packs installs dynamic libraries and writes to registry?

Gabriel Genellina

En Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:14:34 -0300, Binary
How much space approximately is required to install the following packs
on Windows XP?

pycairo-1.4.12-2.win32-py2.6.exe
python-2.6.1.msi
pygobject-2.14.2-2.win32-py2.6.exe
pygtk-2.12.1-3.win32-py2.6.exe
pywin32-213.win32-py2.6.exe
gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe

You might estimate it by the size of those files; use a factor of 2 or 3
due to compression.
Does all this packs requires installation,

python and gtx must be installed as any other Windows program, and
probably require administrator rights. I don't know all of the remaining
files, but they look like Python packages; the installer typically drop
some files into c:\python26\lib\site-packages and register something.
or it's possible just extract and place them in to C: drive, then to set
environment variables properly?
Does this packs installs dynamic libraries and writes to registry?

Python and Gtk, yes. The other packages, maybe not.

DreiJane

Hello,

Python and gtk are "ambulant" (portable plus intallable by mere
copying without admin rights). gtk only needs to have the path to its /
bin on the PATH . The latter could - and possibly should be - done by
the Python scripts using it, for example:

s = os.environ['PATH']
if s.find(gtkBinDir) == -1: os.putenv("PATH", os.getenv("PATH")+
os.pathsep + gtkBinDir)

for gtkBinDir from some GlobalConstants.py.

Pygtk breaks that "ambulance" - its parts use the registry, but only
for finding Python during installation. Afterwards such a Python is
ambulant again - that means with its pygtk (this little flaw is a
minor reason for me to work on my depikt). I am on Windows normally,
but never considered pywin.

Good luck, Joost

DreiJane

Rereading my sent answer i wondered, what the variable s was used for
besides that "find" and found nothing. Without it also the layout is
better:

if os.environ['PATH'].find(gtkBinDir) == -1: