python sockets question

Eric Miller

Can python sockets be used to capture IP traffic when the traffic is originating from a non-python source?

Using a Lantronix UDS-1100 serial to IP converter. The goal is to write a small proof of concept piece in Python to capture serial data output by thisdevice over IP.

I've done a couple test projects using sockets in python, but they were alldone between python processes (python > python): listen() on one end, and connect(), sendall() etc on the other.

I think I can use sockets for this project, but before I invest a bunch of time into it, wanted to make sure it is a viable solution.

Can python sockets be used to capture IP traffic when the traffic is originating from a non-python source? I have full control over the IP and port that the device sends the serial data to, but there will be no python connect() initiated by the client. I can pre-pend then serial data with some connect() string if needed.

If sockets won't work, please recommend another solution...guessing it willbe REST or similar.

Andrew Berg

Can python sockets be used to capture IP traffic when the traffic is originating from a non-python source?
Python just exposes the underlying OS socket interface. There is nothing special about sockets in Python. The whole point is to connect
heterogeneous systems. I can use Python on Windows to create a client that will connect to a service written in C running on Solaris or to
something written in Java running on Linux.