PYTHONDOCS on OSX

Robert Hicks

How do I set this variable in my .bash_profile? I have the html docs in
/usr/local/PythonDocs.

Thanks for any help...

Robert

Dave Opstad

"Robert Hicks said:
How do I set this variable in my .bash_profile? I have the html docs in
/usr/local/PythonDocs.

I have a line in my .profile like this:

export PYTHONDOCS='/Users/opstad/Documents/Developer
Docs/Python-Docs-2.4.1'

So by analogy, you could try adding this to your profile:

export PYTHONDOCS='/usr/local/PythonDocs'

Dave

Robert Hicks

Dave said:
I have a line in my .profile like this:

export PYTHONDOCS='/Users/opstad/Documents/Developer
Docs/Python-Docs-2.4.1'

So by analogy, you could try adding this to your profile:

export PYTHONDOCS='/usr/local/PythonDocs'

I have that...and it isn't working with the OSX version of IDLE in the
MacPython folder. If I start Python from the Terminal it works.

Any idea why it doesn't work that way?

Robert

Dan Lowe

I have that...and it isn't working with the OSX version of IDLE in the
MacPython folder. If I start Python from the Terminal it works.

Any idea why it doesn't work that way?

Unless a program is launched in a Terminal window, your .profile (and
other similar files) aren't read. OSX doesn't work like Linux or
Solaris; it doesn't launch the GUI from a shell environment. There
are ways to get environment variables into the GUI, such as described
here:

http://tinyurl.com/8yvk9

-dan