pythonic array subsetting

Nick Matzke

Hi,

So I've got a square floating point array that is about 1000 x 1000. I
need to subset this array as efficiently as possible based on an
ordered sublist of the list of rownames/colnames (they are the same,
this is a symmetric array).

e.g., if sublist is of length 500, and matches the rownames list at
every other entry, I need to pull out a 500x500 array holding every
other row & column in the parent array.

I have to do this hundreds of times, so speed would be useful.

Cheers!
Nick

Nicholas J. Matzke
Ph.D. student, Graduate Student Researcher
Huelsenbeck Lab
Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley

Lab websites:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
Dept. personal page:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
Lab personal page: http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/matzke.html
Lab phone: 510-643-6299
Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
Cell phone: 510-301-0179
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Mailing address:
Department of Integrative Biology
3060 VLSB #3140
Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

"[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people
thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that
thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth
is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The Skeptical Inquirer,
14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

bearophileHUGS

Nick Matzke:
I have to do this hundreds of times, so speed would be useful.

Try to create a 2D array with NumPy, and then slice it. Note that
slicing syntax has a "stride" too.

Bye,
bearophile