Q. Is there a way to disable the the 'print screen' key using html ?

Jim Jones

Hi,

I have a web page, on which I have photographs that I don't
particularly care for people to be able to duplicate.
Certainly not indiscrete photos, but I still want to protect my work
just the same.

What are my options, what can I do, to prevent people from printing,
and copying the photos to the clip board ?

Thanks,
Jim

Steve Pugh

Jim Jones said:
I have a web page, on which I have photographs that I don't
particularly care for people to be able to duplicate.
Certainly not indiscrete photos, but I still want to protect my work
just the same.

Copyright law applies. If people copy your photos take them to court.
What are my options, what can I do, to prevent people from printing,
and copying the photos to the clip board ?

Don't put them on the web. There is nothing else that can prevent them
being copied. There are various things that can make it more difficult
but they (a) tend to also disable useful browser functions at the same
time and (b) can be circumvented easily.

And to answer the question in the subject: No.

Steve

Matthias Gutfeldt

Jim said:
I have a web page, on which I have photographs that I don't
particularly care for people to be able to duplicate.
Certainly not indiscrete photos, but I still want to protect my work
just the same.

What are my options, what can I do, to prevent people from printing,
and copying the photos to the clip board ?

Once the image is visible in the browser, the user has already
downloaded it. Any attempt at disabling print or copy&paste comes much
too late.

Check out what the big stock photography sites do (e.g. istockphoto.com,
morguefile.com) and copy their procedure; it's usually low-quality or
reduced-size pictures and/or a watermark on the image.

Matthias

Richard

Jim said:
I have a web page, on which I have photographs that I don't
particularly care for people to be able to duplicate.
Certainly not indiscrete photos, but I still want to protect my work
just the same.
What are my options, what can I do, to prevent people from printing,
and copying the photos to the clip board ?
Thanks,
Jim

Many browsers "cache" the site in the machine.
Turning anything off won't prevent me from taking the images.
I can do that by saving the entire page to another directory.