Q: Passing information between browser windows?

Usenet User

My main main page is to create a pop-up window for the user to enter
main window should display search results. So, how would I pass the
criteria from the popup back the the main window? (URL/href
parameters is *not* an option)

Also, I need to make sure the only one instance of the popup exist in
order to prevent the user from accidentally opening multiple copies.

Any ideas?

TIA!

zeyais

This will need to be done on the client side using Javascript.

You can have a JS function in the main window eg. function
RemoteRequestHandler()
From the child window you can call this function using
window.opener.RemoteReqeustHandler() method and also pass whatever
parameters you want to perfom the tasks.

"to prevent the user from accidentally opening multiple copies"

again in your client script you will have to keep track of this. Best
option is to assign a name to the window that you open that way
whenever the call is made it will be made to the same window.

HTH.

Usenet User

Thanks, I am getting there...