Qt Designer required for PyQt?

Kevin Walzer

is it possible to write the GUI code for PyQt applications by hand or
is using the Qt Designer an essential part of the process? Coming from a
Tkinter background, with a little exposure to wxPython, I'm very
comfortable and productive writing GUI code by hand. I understand the
appeal of using the GUI builder to visualize how your GUI will look, but
it also can add a layer of complexity. Does anyone write complex PyQt
apps without using Designer?

Ad

Yorgos Pagles

Hi Kevin,
designer is not required for producing your UI, you can code it by
hand. The are examples in both the C++ distribution of Qt and PyQt on
how to do so but it is pretty straightforward, especially since you
have a background on other GUI toolkits.

My general approach is to create the "fancy" stuff my application
needs by hand and generate the trivial ones using the designer.

Regards,
Yorgos

Ad

Phil Thompson

is it possible to write the GUI code for PyQt applications by hand or
is using the Qt Designer an essential part of the process? Coming from a
Tkinter background, with a little exposure to wxPython, I'm very
comfortable and productive writing GUI code by hand. I understand the
appeal of using the GUI builder to visualize how your GUI will look, but
it also can add a layer of complexity. Does anyone write complex PyQt
apps without using Designer?

Do whatever fits your brain the best. Typically I would do both in an
application.

One particular advantage of the Designer approach is that you can sit down
with a user and quickly produce a working GUI that they are happy with.

Phil