Query: Grid Solutions with Java

jon

Grid solutions with Java

I'm looking for grid computing solutions that are compatible with
Java. Specifically, I'm looking for solutions that are amenable to
being driven by users interacting with JSP (through Struts or other
framework) and that can spawn grid applications that are written in
Java (or other languages). The back-end (grid) processing need not
be perceived by the user-when a compute intensive application is
called for the distribution of applications to the grid should be
taken care of by the grid solution, not the end-user. I'm more
interested in open-source solutions, but can consider proprietary
systems if they are sufficiently portable across a variety of
platforms and don't have inordinately (prohibitive) licensing fees or
restrictions (this is not being done in a commercial for-profit
environment).

The solution should be portable. Both the server and its agents
should perform on platform independent systems (e.g., implemented on a
JVM). However, I'll consider using system-dependent solutions.

For example, Mac OS X Server 10.3 and 10.4 and Mac OS X 10.4 all come
with Xgrid built-in. All things being considered, this is an ideal
solution for ad-hoc grid applications. The work Apple has done here
solves most of what I'm trying to accomplish, albeit I'm new to this
technology and haven't seen such a solution being driven by user-
interaction with a web application. There is at least one open source
project that provides Xgrid agent compatible software for Linux and
Windows with a Java solution. The server must be on the Mac OS,
however, so this solution is not entirely satisfactory.

Another solution that looks promising is the Java Distributed System
developed by Thomas Keane ( http://www.cs.nuim.ie/distributed ). This
is entirely a Java solution, so both server and agents can work on any
JVM. Control here is done via a GUI Interface program, which is what
one would normally want in such an environment. It is unclear to me
if the launching and control of grid applications can be done
programmatically (without human supervision), which is one criterion
I'd like to have.

I don't know enough about other solutions to know if they can be
driven on the server side through user interaction via web
applications, and if their execution of the grid application(s) can be
controlled programmatically (without human supervision), only through
a web application.

I'd like to here from any Java programmers or software architects who
have researched such grid solutions, and what they have found that
will work. Any links to URLs that deal with this would be
appreciated, also.

I'll provide an analysis and summary of responses.

Thanks in advance,

Jon Richards
richardsjd at acm dot org