Java Porting Query ..

ssmile

Hello !!

I have a RISC based 32-bit processor on an embedded platform.

About the embedded platform, the following information can be assumed...
* A GCC based toolchain supporting C and C++ is available for that platform.
* Amount of Memory (RAM) on the platform is configurable to a certain extent.
* A suitable version of Linux (2.4.x.x) will be running on this platform.

What is required is complete support for Java development and execution.

I would like feedback from anyone who has ported a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) onto custom processors.

What are the issues that are encountered? What work needs to be done on the target platform and what support needs to be added on the Host/ Development side?

For example, the JVM (which is part of a JRE) typically includes a JIT compiler. This compiler will take Java bytecode and convert it to native assembly code. For a custom processor, this code generation will have to be implemented.

JVMs have memory allocation modules. Do they need any customization?

Once a JRE is ported onto the custom platform, does it have to go through any certification process?

Any insights into the process of porting a Java Runtime will help.

~ Thanks!!

Jeff Higgins

Hello !!>
I have a RISC based 32-bit processor on an embedded platform.>
About the embedded platform, the following information can be assumed...
* A GCC based toolchain supporting C and C++ is available for that platform.
* Amount of Memory (RAM) on the platform is configurable to a certain extent.
* A suitable version of Linux (2.4.x.x) will be running on this platform.
What is required is complete support for Java development and execution.
I would like feedback from anyone who has ported a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) onto custom processors.
How about a link from someone who hasn't?
What are the issues that are encountered? What work needs to be done on the target platform and what support needs to be added on the Host/ Development side?
For example, the JVM (which is part of a JRE) typically includes a JIT compiler. This compiler will take Java bytecode and convert it to native assembly code. For a custom processor, this code generation will have to be implemented.
JVMs have memory allocation modules. Do they need any customization?
Once a JRE is ported onto the custom platform, does it have to go through any certification process?
Any insights into the process of porting a Java Runtime will help.
The very first hit for port+java+to+new+platform is an article titled:
"Zero and Shark: a Zero-Assembly Port of OpenJDK"
<http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2009/05/21/zero-and-shark-openjdk-port.html>
Thanks for the mention, hope it helps.