Questions about (non-blocking) sockets

Holger

Hi,

After having read quite a bit of postings on the topic it's still not
entirely clear to me.

I have working code that is a forever running client and which opens
just one connection (with blocking reads) to a server. Generally, it's
kind of a ping pong protocol, but the server also arbitrarily sends
data. I suppose that therefore I haven't run into a deadlock problem
yet of not sending often enough data that cause a response in return.
Here's the code frame:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use IO::Socket;
use IO::Select;

# init snipped ...
$SIG{__DIE__} = \&SigDieHandler;

sub SigDieHandler
{
$socket->close if ( defined $socket );
$SIG{__DIE__} = 'DEFAULT';
exit( 0 );
}

my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddr => $RemoteHost,
PeerPort => $RemotePort,
Proto => 'tcp',
Type => SOCK_STREAM )
or die "Could not connect to $RemoteHost:$RemotePort: $@\n";
my $data;
while ( defined $socket->recv( $data, 1028 ) ) {
# while processing $data ... {
print $socket $otherdatatosend;
# error handling snipped ...
# }
}
__END__

I've read to not use recv or sysread together with print on the same
socket. Does this apply to the entire socket or only per direction?
After all, the above works.

I'd like to convert the code into non-blocking call(s), but am a
little confused about the exact details, since I've only found
examples for the server side with listening sockets. Perhaps, I don't
see the wood for all the trees. I merely have a single connection, not
an entire pool.

So far I've come up with the following (btw, needs to work on win32,
too). But before changing the program I wanted to ask whether I'm on
the right track.

my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddr => $RemoteHost,
PeerPort => $RemotePort )
or die "Could not connect to $RemoteHost:$RemotePort: $@\n";
my $select = IO::Select->new( $socket );
while ( 1 ) {
if ( $select->can_read( $timeout ) ) {
unless ( defined $socket->recv( $data, 1028 ) ) {
break;
}
else {
# process received $data
# do stuff, send data
}
$select->remove( $socket );
close $socket;
__END__

I also have a few questions:
What exact effects do values undef, 0, and e.g. 5 for $timeout have?

$select->can_read returns in this case either a list with one entry or
an empty list (on timeout). Correct?

Should I use sysread instead of recv?

Is the $select->remove necessary for cleanup?

Any thoughts on having the cleanup code in the die handler or not?

Best regards,

Holger

xhoster

Holger said:
Hi,

After having read quite a bit of postings on the topic it's still not
entirely clear to me.

I have working code that is a forever running client and which opens
just one connection (with blocking reads) to a server. Generally, it's
kind of a ping pong protocol,

What does that mean? One query yields exactly one response?
but the server also arbitrarily sends
data. I suppose that therefore I haven't run into a deadlock problem
yet of not sending often enough data that cause a response in return.

With what is shown, it is hard to say whether you are just lucky so far
or if your code is really not susceptible to deadlocks. I'd have to see
the code on the other end too, and know how you are aligning messages.
my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddr => $RemoteHost,
PeerPort => $RemotePort,
Proto => 'tcp',
Type => SOCK_STREAM )
or die "Could not connect to $RemoteHost:$RemotePort: $@\n";
my $data;
while ( defined $socket->recv( $data, 1028 ) ) {

This seems a little unusual. Usually the client initiates a connection,
and then initiates the query on that connection. Here, this process
initiates the connection, but then waits for other side to initiate
the query. I don't know if that makes this process the client or the
server.

Also, does the other end always send records of size exactly 1028?

# while processing $data ... {
print $socket $otherdatatosend;
# error handling snipped ...
# }
}
__END__

I've read to not use recv or sysread together with print on the same
socket. Does this apply to the entire socket or only per direction?
After all, the above works.

I don't think that mixing them on different legs of the same socket will
cause problems.
I'd like to convert the code into non-blocking call(s), but am a
little confused about the exact details, since I've only found
examples for the server side with listening sockets. Perhaps, I don't
see the wood for all the trees.

Why do you want to do it non-blocking? I can answer some of your technical
questions without knowing the reason, but knowing why would help us help
you see the forest for the trees.
I merely have a single connection, not
an entire pool.

So far I've come up with the following (btw, needs to work on win32,
too). But before changing the program I wanted to ask whether I'm on
the right track.

my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddr => $RemoteHost,
PeerPort => $RemotePort )
or die "Could not connect to $RemoteHost:$RemotePort: $@\n";
my $select = IO::Select->new( $socket );
while ( 1 ) {
if ( $select->can_read( $timeout ) ) {
unless ( defined $socket->recv( $data, 1028 ) ) {
break;
}
else {
# process received $data
# do stuff, send data

You might want the "send data" to be inside the else. Do you really need
to send data to the other every $timeout seconds, even if the other side
hasn't yet responded to your previous queries?
}
$select->remove( $socket );
close $socket;
__END__

I also have a few questions:
What exact effects do values undef, 0, and e.g. 5 for $timeout have?

Undef means wait forever for the handle to become readable. 0 means wait
for zero seconds. 5 means to wait for 5 seconds.

$select->can_read returns in this case either a list with one entry or
an empty list (on timeout). Correct?
Yes.

Should I use sysread instead of recv?

The tradition I've seen is to recv only for UDP. So I would say yes, use
sysread. I don't know if there is a basis beyond tradition for this.
Is the $select->remove necessary for cleanup?

Not as is, because the program immediately terminates anyway. If the
program went on to use $select later, then you should remove the dead
handle.
Any thoughts on having the cleanup code in the die handler or not?

I don't see any point in it.

Xho

Uri Guttman

x> This seems a little unusual. Usually the client initiates a connection,
x> and then initiates the query on that connection. Here, this process
x> initiates the connection, but then waits for other side to initiate
x> the query. I don't know if that makes this process the client or the
x> server.

i try to teach this point to all when discussing sockets. only the
connection is required to be oriented from client to running (listening)
server. tcp is bidirectional after that. you can then run client/server
in either direction or peer to peer or whatever you want. there is no
association between the connection direction and the data's. now, most
client connections are also client requestors (http being the classic
now). but i do peer to peer with stem and only worry about the
connection direction as needed.

you can do whatever you want as long as you understand the issuse
involved. the problem is they are subtle and tricky so obeying those
rules is good in general. and you can use buffered i/o in one direction
unbuffered in the other since they are independent. you just have to
make sure each side (for a given direction) knows how the other side
will transmit/receive data. this is why i always use sysread/write for
all my socket code as i want the control and not to have to worry about
some strange buffering done by print and stdio.

uri

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
The tradition I've seen is to recv only for UDP. So I would say yes, use
sysread. I don't know if there is a basis beyond tradition for this.

The only difference between sysread snd recv is that recv allows you to
determine where the packet was from. Since a TCP socket (indeed, a
SOCK_STREAM socket in general) only has one 'other end', there's no need
to use recv. OTOH, there's no real reason not to beyond preserving the
analogy to pipes.

Ben

Holger

Hi Xho,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Thank you, and also Uri and Ben, for
your replies.

What does that mean? One query yields exactly one response?

It's loosely based on Telnet, but without escape sequences. The server
sends more or less continuously data and responds to commands the
client sends. Most of the communication is line based, but
unfortunately with some exceptions.
With what is shown, it is hard to say whether you are just lucky so far
or if your code is really not susceptible to deadlocks. I'd have to see
the code on the other end too, and know how you are aligning messages.

I couldn't really post more code than the example because the posting
got longer than I intended anyway. But I can gladly supply more
information. And the other end isn't under my control.
This seems a little unusual. Usually the client initiates a connection,
and then initiates the query on that connection. Here, this process
initiates the connection, but then waits for other side to initiate
the query. I don't know if that makes this process the client or the
server.

This server starts by sending a banner and a login prompt, which I
need to wait for. Since my program (theoretically) runs for ever, it
could be viewed as kind of a server, too. Personally, I call something
a server if it's either longer running than the communication partners
or listen()ing for (possibly more than one at a time) new connections.
Also, does the other end always send records of size exactly 1028?

No. As I understood the parameter, it should be the buffer length and
therefore the maximum of data to be received at that call. I also have
omitted code in the processing part that adds the chunks together and
scans for and then processes the lines, messages or records.
I don't think that mixing them on different legs of the same socket will
cause problems.

Ok, thanks.
Why do you want to do it non-blocking? I can answer some of your technical
questions without knowing the reason, but knowing why would help us help
you see the forest for the trees.

In the current code I have a command queue from which I send one
command per incoming and processed message (inner loop not shown in
the example). There isn't a strict one to one relation however. For
some data it's not necessary to send anything, for other I want to
generate multiple commands. Since the server sends data on its own,
which I can use as a heart beat (despite being very irregular), the
danger of getting to the situation where I don't get enough chances to
send something shouldn't be high. (On second thought, this isn't
really a deadlock, so I used the term wrongly.)
You might want the "send data" to be inside the else. Do you really need
to send data to the other every $timeout seconds, even if the other side
hasn't yet responded to your previous queries?

As mentioned above I'd like to be able to send commands independently
from the server sending data. Perhaps, I will insert code to send
waiting data in both places.
Undef means wait forever for the handle to become readable. 0 means wait
for zero seconds. 5 means to wait for 5 seconds.

So undef is again blocking, and 0 results in polling, which I guess
should be avoided.

Thanks also for the other answers.

Regards,

Holger

xhoster

Holger said:
As mentioned above I'd like to be able to send commands independently
from the server sending data. Perhaps, I will insert code to send
waiting data in both places.

There are two risks for deadlock here if your print to the socket in a
blocking (and even more so blocking and buffered) way, but they depend on
the unknown behavior of the other end (which I'll call the server). Since
the server seems to have two streams of output, one in reponse to the
client and one autonomous stream, how does it interweave them and are they
blocking or not? If the server prints the autonomous stream in a blocking
way, then it is possible that a big slug of autonomous data after your code
passes the recv and/or timeout but before your code finishes "do stuff;
send data". Then you might block waiting for server to read the data you
are trying to send, and thus you will not doing any "recv"ing; while the
server is blocked waiting for you to recv the autonomous data, refusing to
read more commands from you until you read form it. If your commands are
small and you only send a command after receiving a reply to the previous
command and the volume of autonomous data is low and evenly spread, this
risk is low. But if your commands are large, or you send many of them
asynchronously (which you probably are if you send after a timeout, in
addition to sending after a successful read), or the autonomous data comes
in large chunks, the risk is increased.

Consider what happens if the server does send autonomous data unblockingly.
What would it do if you just could never keep up with it? It would have to
buffer that unsent data internally, and the internal buffer could grow
without bound. Is that a risk the implementer of the server would likely
take? The implementer probably took some steps to avoid thus, but whether
that would be to use blocking, or to drop overflowing data, or just abort,
I don't know.

Second, even if the server sends autonomous data without blocking, does
it also send responsive data without blocking? It is quite plausible that
the server will only read as much from your socket as it needs to get one
complete command, and will then not read anymore until you process that
command and *you read all the results of that command*. So again, you will
block sending another command, while it blocks waiting for you to read the
output of the previous command, you have deadlock.

So in short, if you don't know how the server handles its data, you might
want to consider making the "send data" part in a nonblocking way using
select and syswrite rather than print. Of course, it depends on your
paranoia/laziness trade off.

Xho

Holger

There are two risks for deadlock here if your print to the socket in a
blocking (and even more so blocking and buffered) way, but they depend on
the unknown behavior of the other end (which I'll call the server). Since
the server seems to have two streams of output, one in reponse to the
client and one autonomous stream, how does it interweave them and are they
blocking or not?

I don't know details about the interweaving; I can only guess from the
data. There seem to be certain fixed data sequences, but in general I
suppose this depends on the events the server receives, e.g. from
other users. My guess is that it handles everything asynchronously,
because answers don't relate to a particular command. It may even be
the case that due to server load it doesn't answer. One thing which is
assured of course, is that messages are fully sent before the next
one.
If the server prints the autonomous stream in a blocking
way, then it is possible that a big slug of autonomous data after your code
passes the recv and/or timeout but before your code finishes "do stuff;
send data". Then you might block waiting for server to read the data you
are trying to send, and thus you will not doing any "recv"ing; while the
server is blocked waiting for you to recv the autonomous data, refusing to
read more commands from you until you read form it.

I think the server doesn't block on read and would keep sending
anyway. Hmm, how would I actually test this? Syswrite something
without a record separator and then try to read?

[scenarios snipped]
So in short, if you don't know how the server handles its data, you might
want to consider making the "send data" part in a nonblocking way using
select and syswrite rather than print. Of course, it depends on your
paranoia/laziness trade off.

Thanks, points taken. I'll have a closer look at that.

Regards,

Holger

xhoster

Holger said:
I think the server doesn't block on read and would keep sending
anyway.

I don't think that that is what I was trying to describe. The server is
not blocking on read, it is blocking on write (waiting for the client to
read). In other words, it is trying to keep sending, but the client won't
read what it is writing and the buffer is full, so its attempt at sending
blocks.

Hmm, how would I actually test this? Syswrite something
without a record separator and then try to read?

Don't try to read at all, just keep writing. syswrite or print, doesn't
matter but print is easier, and you may as well use a record separator
(otherwise you would be testing something different). If the server uses
blocking writes to you, then eventually the server will block on its write
to you, and hence stop reading what you write to it, and then you will
block on writing to it, resulting in a deadlock.

while (1) {
print $SOCKET $one_datachunk;
warn "done with one more chunk ",$count++;
};

If the program freezes for a long time (stops printing the warnings) then
it probably deadlocked.

Of course, if you do this and the server doesn't use blocking writes but
rather stores up all the stuff it wants to write but can't, then its memory
usage will grow without limit. So if it doesn't block (kepts emitting the
warnings), then either don't let this run for too long, or monitor the
server processes size.

Xho

Holger

I don't think that that is what I was trying to describe. The server is
not blocking on read, it is blocking on write (waiting for the client to
read). In other words, it is trying to keep sending, but the client won't
read what it is writing and the buffer is full, so its attempt at sending
blocks.

Ah, ok. Misunderstood before.
Don't try to read at all, just keep writing. syswrite or print, doesn't
matter but print is easier, and you may as well use a record separator
(otherwise you would be testing something different). If the server uses
blocking writes to you, then eventually the server will block on its write
to you, and hence stop reading what you write to it, and then you will
block on writing to it, resulting in a deadlock.

Thanks. I'll try this.

Regards,

Holger