Questions on python 2.6.2 installed files

Weidong

I would like to build a python 2.6.2 for Linux that runs on arm-based
embeded devices. After some experiment of building from the python
2.6.2 source, I notice that the installed files from "make install"
are much too big for an embedded system. For example, the files it
installs to /usr/local/lib/python2.6/ dir is over 350MB.

From the following installed files,

/usr/local/bin/python
/usr/local/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0

I do not see they have any "direct" dependency on the files installed
in /usr/local/lib/python2.6 dir. What are the use of those files in /
usr/local/lib/python2.6? What is the consequence if I do not put them
on the embedded system?

Is there a good way to directly make an installation "package" (or
tarball) of python 2.6.2 from the build result?

Any advice on configuration to make the results smaller will be
greatly appreciated!

- Weidong