problem installing python 2.6.2 from tarball

Paul Simon

I have just finished going through the usual ./configure, make, etc. and now
have a load of stuff in my home directory that I think doesn't belong there.
Apparently I did the installation from my home directory (linux) and have a
directory in my home directory "Python2.6.2" with subdirectories like
"build", "Demo", "Doc", "Include", "Lib", etc. There are many files under
/usr/bin/local/ which appear to be duplicates.

This looks like a mess to me and would like some help to sort this out.

Paul Simon

Pablo Torres N.

I have just finished going through the usual ./configure, make, etc. and now
have a load of stuff in my home directory that I think doesn't belong there.
Apparently I did the installation from my home directory (linux) and have a
directory  in my home directory "Python2.6.2" with subdirectories like
"build", "Demo", "Doc", "Include", "Lib", etc.  There are many files under
/usr/bin/local/  which appear to be duplicates.

This looks like a mess to me and would like some help to sort this out.

Paul Simon

Sounds like you untarred directly into your home dir. You're OK if
you delete those, they are the sources, although you should do so only
after uninstalling, just in case.
To unistall, follow this thread from the list from a while ago:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-December/296269.html
I have followed it and it worked.

Pablo Torres N.