quit scroll body in html 4.01

Alejandro Vidal

Hi, I'm new in this forum. I'm from spain, so, sorry for my english. My
problem is this:

I'm trying quit the scroll body in my pages, for example for full flash
pages.

I dont want to use frames pages with noscroll.

In some pages I used:

this works in IE, but i think than it is not starndard and not recognised by
other browsers.

now I'm trying with css:

this works when I delete the string: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

from the html file, but I don't want to do this, because I want my pages
validates html 4.01 standard.

IS <body style="overflow:hidden"> out of html 4.01 rules???

Exists other way to quit the body scroll????

Thank you

Alex

SpaceGirl

Alejandro said:
[...]

You cannot prevent (stop) scrolling in the browser. You can only control
scrolling in frames, iframes and divs (layers).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

Alejandro Vidal wrote:

So you've removed all margins and padding with CSS and set the Flash movie
to have 100% height and width? And now you want to remove the greyed out
scrollbar?

When you removed the doctype you triggered quirks mode.
With the doctype you trigger standards mode.

One of the differences is that in standards mode the page scrollbars are
attached to the html element, not to the body element.

Yes. Under the HTML 4.01 <body style="rubbish"> is valid. The content of
the style attribute can be almost anything.

Under the CSS rules overflow: hidden; is valid.

Add html {overflow: hidden;} to your style sheet.
You cannot prevent (stop) scrolling in the browser. You can only control
scrolling in frames, iframes and divs (layers).

Really? So you can't apply the overflow property to a paragraph or a
heading? I think you should test things a bit before making assertions.
Whilst there are some annoying limitations (IE not supporting overflow on
tbody is an obvious one) reality is a lot less restricted than you implied.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
[...]

You're right. For some reason I didn't think that worked in IE. I just
tried it. Oops :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

DU

Steve said:
So you've removed all margins and padding with CSS and set the Flash
movie to have 100% height and width? And now you want to remove the
greyed out scrollbar?

When you removed the doctype you triggered quirks mode.
With the doctype you trigger standards mode.

One of the differences is that in standards mode the page scrollbars
are attached to the html element, not to the body element.

Yes. Under the HTML 4.01 <body style="rubbish"> is valid. The content
of the style attribute can be almost anything.

Under the CSS rules overflow: hidden; is valid.

Add html {overflow: hidden;} to your style sheet.

Really?

Really. But more should have been explained. With an user stylesheet,
one can force the rendering of scrollbars when content overflows current
window dimensions with

html {overflow: auto !important;}
body {overflow: visible !important;}

I remember answering a question (can't recall if that was in this
newsgroup or in comp.lang.javascript) on this and verified this
carefully with MSIE 6 SP1a at the time.

So you can't apply the overflow property to a paragraph or a
heading? I think you should test things a bit before making assertions.
Whilst there are some annoying limitations (IE not supporting overflow
on tbody is an obvious one) reality is a lot less restricted than you
implied.

Steve

DU

Alejandro Vidal

I tried:

html {
overflow:hidden;
}

And it works, it is just I'm looking for.

Thanks. I didn't find documentation about this.

Alex