Rails 1.0: Release Candidate 2

David Heinemeier Hansson

The release of 1.0 is near upon us! It has been a long time in the
making, involved a heroic final sprint at RubyConf by the core team,
and is a testament to how it's all been coming together over the last
months. Almost three hundred bug fixes, enhancements, and new features
have been introduced since 0.13.1 saw the light of day three months
ago. That's on average three per day. So it's not been a while because
of slacking off.

But with all these changes, we want to allow for an extended
release-candidate phase before we declare 1.0 a reality. So from today
you can get the 1.0 RC 2, which is packaged as version 0.14.1 in the
gems.

Over the next two weeks or so, we're very interested in hearing about
bugs and we'll likely push out a few more release candidates as more
and more fixes go in. That said, we can't fix it all and we surely
can't process all the pending feature enhancements for 1.0. So don't
expect to see an empty Pending Patches or Faults lists. Our main
objective is to stamp out the "heinous" bugs: those that significantly
affect the many or those that dangerously affect the few.

Read the full release notes:
http://documentation.rubyonrails.com/release_notes/rc2.html

Upgrading from 0.13.1 to 1.0:
http://documentation.rubyonrails.com/release_notes/upgrading_from_0131_to_1=
0.html

(The main gem server is pretty over-worked, you may want to do gem
install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org
--include-dependencies to offload it a bit)

--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.basecamphq.com -- Online project management

Jamis Buck

I didn't see the RCs there. A mirroring delay or perhaps they just
haven't
yet been uploaded?

Rails 0.14.1 is RC2. However, it looks like somehow only the rails
gem got uploaded. I'll see if I can grab David next time he's online
to upload those.

For future reference, here are the specific version numbers
associated with RC2:

rails 0.14.1
activesupport 1.2.1
activerecord 1.12.1
actionpack 1.10.1
actionmailer 1.1.1
actionwebservice 0.9.1

You can always grab the gems off of the RoR gem server, though:

gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-
dependencies

- Jamis

David Heinemeier Hansson

Ara.T.Howard

Sorry about that, chaps. It's all good now.

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (>= 0.6.2) in the repository

fyi.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Tom Copeland

Sorry about that, chaps. It's all good now.

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (>= 0.6.2) in the repository

I just ran the cron job manually, should be there now:

===================
$ gem list --remote rails

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

rails (0.14.1, 0.13.1, 0.13.0, 0.12.1, 0.12.0, 0.11.1, 0.11.0, 0.10.1,
0.10.0, 0.9.5, 0.9.4.1, 0.9.4, 0.9.3, 0.9.2, 0.9.1, 0.9.0, 0.8.5, 0.8.0,
0.7.0, 0.6.5, 0.6.0)
===================

Yours,

tom

Jamis Buck

Sorry about that, chaps. It's all good now.

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rails --source http://
gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (>= 0.6.2) in the repository

Yah, it's a consequence of gems only knowing about a single
repository at a time. You need to install/upgrade rake first, using
the primary gem server, and then you can use the rails gem server for
the rest.

Sorry about that,

Jamis

Tom Copeland

Rails 0.14.1 is RC2. However, it looks like somehow only the rails
gem got uploaded. I'll see if I can grab David next time he's online
to upload those.

Sorry about that, chaps. It's all good now.

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (>= 0.6.2) in the repository

I just ran the cron job manually, should be there now:

Argh, note to self, read messages more closely - I didn't see the
"--source" in your msg, Ara.

Tom

Ara.T.Howard

[...]

hmmm.

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (>= 0.6.2) in the repository

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ date
Wed Oct 19 15:37:33 MDT 2005

looks like some rails package requires 0.6.2 - but that's not in the list?

probably they did not use '~>' ?? i'm a gems newbie though...

i just installed the latest rubygems about 1hr ago btw...

thoughts?

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Ara.T.Howard

Rails 0.14.1 is RC2. However, it looks like somehow only the rails
gem got uploaded. I'll see if I can grab David next time he's online
to upload those.

Sorry about that, chaps. It's all good now.

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rails --source http://
gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyonrails.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find rake (>= 0.6.2) in the repository

Yah, it's a consequence of gems only knowing about a single repository at a
time. You need to install/upgrade rake first, using the primary gem server,
and then you can use the rails gem server for the rest.

ah. seems a simple fix:

- accept multiple --source arguments

- loop over them
Sorry about that,

works now:

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ sudo gem install rake && sudo gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-dependenci
Attempting local installation of 'rake'
Local gem file not found: rake*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
Successfully installed rake-0.6.2
Installing RDoc documentation for rake-0.6.2...
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Successfully installed rails-0.14.1
Successfully installed activesupport-1.2.1
Successfully installed activerecord-1.12.1
Successfully installed actionpack-1.10.1
Successfully installed actionmailer-1.1.1
Successfully installed actionwebservice-0.9.1
Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.2.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-1.12.1...

lib/active_record.rb:73:64: Skipping require of dynamic string: "active_record/connection_adapters/#{adapter}_adapter"
Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.10.1...

lib/action_controller/assertions.rb:4:69: Skipping require of dynamic string: "#{File.dirname(__FILE__)}/vendor/html-scanner/html/document"
Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.1.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for actionwebservice-0.9.1...
[ahoward@localhost ~]$ echo $?
0

thanks!

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Caleb Tennis

You can always grab the gems off of the RoR gem server, though:
gem install rails --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org --include-
dependencies

Righto, but I was looking to download the .gem file and not actually do any
installation. I don't think this is possible via the "gem" command, is it?

Anyway, moot point now as it's all fixed. And 1.0RC2 is now available to
Gentoo users everywhere.

Caleb